Living the Life


Advertisement
Published: April 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Okay so this travel blog isn't going to get much further than this entry because the station at my turtle conservation project in Ostional doesn't have computers for us to use, just wireless but i don't have a laptop so if i want to use it i have to borrow someone else's. Sooo heres what i've been doing;

I had to wake up at 5am on tuesday at my home stay to get a taxi to the san jose bus stop, but i went out drinking with a bunch of people after salsa classes (which only reaffirmed my lack of coordination) and then me and the girl who was at the same home stay were relying on this stupid alarm clock of mine that SUCKS. I hate this thing. So anyway i am woken up my roommate yelling KIRSTY ITS FIVE O SEVEN and we both spring out of bed like hungover cheetahs.

We get our cab and manage to catch our bus on time, it was like 5 ish hours to Santa Cruz were we had lunch right by the station, then we got in line for the bus to Ostional. We were probably waiting in line for 40 minutes or so and it was packed! The first bus was big with comfy seats and curtains on the windows, but this bus was just a city bus and I swear there must have been a hundred people crammed onto it. That route only goes twice a day so everybody that needs to go there takes it. One in our group hade a massive backpack aswell as a 7 foot surfboard that she had to hang in the back and it was hitting people in the face hahah so funny. People eventually started trickling out but I had to stand for the whole 3 ish hours and it was sooooo hot. Every time the bus stopped the sweat would poor down and the only wind was when it got going again. Theres a river bed that we have to cross that thankfully was really low, if it had been raining we might have had to get out a carry all our stuff the last 10 kilometers hah.

So we get to Ostional and have a little orientation in the only air conditioned room in the whole place, but were all so tired we cut it short because nobody can focus haha. Then we hung out for a bit before dinner, got shown to our dorms. there are two dorm rooms at the station, each with 3 bunk beds, so they can hold 12 people at a time. One couple is staying at a home stay a few minutes walk away, I'm glad i'm not because they have to go to their home for all their meals and stuff and they miss out on quality bonding time at the station haha.

Okay so i started typing this entry like 4 days ago or something so a bunch has happened since, i'll recap for ya; hitch hiked to the next town over called Nosara and had drinks at little bar, had a romantic group swim at the beach at sunset (the sunsets here are GORGEOUS every night), did my first morning patrole at 530 am walking all the way to the end of the beach looking for turtle tracks from the previous night and marking our findings (made sure to bring our resident guard dog Osa and a large stick in case the poachers dogs attacked us, yes this really happened once). Finished reading my first book of the trip, spent a lot of time up at the gazebo which is the only relatively cool place with winds gusts from heaven, spent a lot of time peeling skin off my uber sunburnt back and chest (why do i always feel the need to burn myself when starting a sun holiday?) Guzzled some tequila (not as much as i would have liked but i'll take what i can get) been to the beach and have nearly been sucked into davey jones locker several times thnaks to powerful rip tides. Good thing i looked up how to swim out of one before i left.

Have eaten shit tons of rice and beans, had many a bowl of powdered milk cereal, and then some more rice and beans haha.

I'll try add some more super awesome entries some time, and until then you can sleep soundly knowing I'm having a great time hahah

Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb