Alajuela


Advertisement
Published: January 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Coffee PlantationCoffee PlantationCoffee Plantation

View from our B and B called Siempervede.
Alajuela is in the central valley. Its mountainous filled with coffee plantations, small villages, winding roads, and beautiful country scenery. We traveled here on Dec. 27th and took in a quick tour at the Doka coffee estate. Its a massive commercial grower, who sells 70% of their roast to Starbucks. The coffee itself is not highly rated, but thats a story for another day.

We travelled on to reach a B and B on part of this estate. We got lost too many times to count. Its in a lovely spot. We took a walk and came across numerous Nicaraguan families who had gathered to get ready to dump all the baskets if beans they had picked for the day. Its hard long work and too many children are working as well. They are paid $1.00 per basket. Average day you can pick 8 to 12 baskets.

We went into the town to a traditional bar and had a very good inexpensive meal.

Off to Jaco tomorrow on the pacific for shopping and a beach day,


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Coffee HarvestCoffee Harvest
Coffee Harvest

After a day of coffee picking, Nicaraugan families cash in their crops.
B and B roomB and B room
B and B room

Very large colourful rooms
Young Coffee PickerYoung Coffee Picker
Young Coffee Picker

Gave this boy colouring pencils. These families are very poor.
B and B roomB and B room
B and B room

Very large colourful rooms


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb