Almost ashamed to say it...


Advertisement
Published: September 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yes I'm almost ashamed to say we're in Tamarindo - without a doubt the most american like, touristy, big real estate business town in Costa Rica. But we do have to see all we can see
Our trip here from Santa Teresa was interesting enough. Seriously, Ali and I (as I think I've said before) have been so lucky travelling around here. Always getting just the right bus, perfect timing, meeting great people who go out of their way to help us. And this trip was no different (thank goodness 'cos it took 11 hours).
We arrived at our Coral Reef hostel at about 10pm and immediately bumped into the group of italian guys we shared our hostel with in Santa Teresa! We decided to stay 5 nights here, and are only being charged $4 per night. God bless the low season!
5 nights is definately enough though. We've already had three sets of people from america, ireland, argentina, australia and canada come through our room and leave after one night. Not many people are enamoured with this place. It targets the rich gringos and is complete with Burger King, Pizza Hut and Subway (all of which we avoid with a passion). Not the place for skint travellers like ourselves.
The beach is lovely with amazing sunsets, but surf is non-existant unless you trek it to Playa Grande, so there are a bunch of beginner surfers cluttering up this beach (can't complain though, they are all lovely people).
The vibe is interesting too. Not peaceful like we had in the forest at Profelis and not homely and friendly like Santa Teresa. We get hit up every time we go for a walk by women and children selling jewellery (they get the little toddlers to talk to you in broken english. No way, not with those tactics) and men yelling 'taxi taxi' (which seems to be a pick up line even for those who aren't even standing by a car!).
We have done a few token fun things like eating 'nachos as big as your ass' at witchs rock cafe (see lonely planet reccomendation - they really are as big as your ass) and havin a great night out at reggae bar 'Babylon.' Ticos (costa ricans) do reggae and reggaeton really well! The dancing is great, complete with pushy/cheeky tico guys that do the same thing every weeken to a dozen different girls. Often feel the need to employ run and hide tactics that Ali is so good at, though they are very harmless.

Check back here for photos tomorrow, after I've taken some

It is sooo hot here - must be around the 40degree mark by now. All we can do is lie down and get up to take a cold shower about 10 times a day! (hope its not like this in Canas, where we have to work)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb