Costa Rican Butterflies and Waterfall experience.


Advertisement
Published: July 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

La Fortuna Waterfall July 2011La Fortuna Waterfall July 2011La Fortuna Waterfall July 2011

Vida girls loving the view.
Mornings in the Costa Rican interior region are interestingly different and entertaining each day. As daybreak increases, the wilderness "volume" knob gets turned up with it. Instead of watching clouds approach from the distance, they are simply manifesting and collecting themselves before us. We are witnessing thunder storms birthing from the warm rising tropical moisture. The mighty Arenal volcano that was free and clear to view in the early hours is rapidly covered by the rising moisture and forming clouds. The sky having changed from light blue to dark grey in color. Heavy rain is immenient. The crack and boom of closing thunder doesn't lie. Before we are seated for breakfast, the sky opens up with liquid furry and once again the jungle noises of animals and insects are replaced with the percussion symphony of millions of rain drops beating on the green canopy leaves. One can marvel at the pleasant intoxication of your senses here and understand why some would never want to return to mornings of neckties and crowded freeways...

Yesterday was a picture opportunity day on steroids. Our private driver humors us with the promise of a Costa Rican massage as our van vibrates along the bumpy
Blue ButterflyBlue ButterflyBlue Butterfly

One of many beautiful butterflies.
gravel road. A short ride deposits us into a tiny hill top village known as El Castillo. A few small homes are scattered with free chickens guarding the modest front yards. People smile and wave to us. All of them. Small mutt dogs run free in the streets and all the doors on buildings are wide open. Air conditioning is a privledge, not a given. We arrive at the very top of the hill and park in front of the Butterfly Conservatory. Our tour begins with a educational observation of various native butterfly eggs, catapillers and cocoons. They are of course all sizes and colors with one species of cocoon finished in a reflective metalic gold. Entry into one of three habitat buildings we visited was almost an unearthly event. Butterflies of all colors and sizes in incredible abundance seemed to be inviting us to interact with them. Some landing on our hands and shoulders, or flying so close as to tickle our noses. We worked our cameras, determined to capture the moment.

A drive around the other side of the base of the Arenal volcano took us up to the beginning of the trail to the La Fortuna
More new friends.More new friends.More new friends.

Renee and Siena making new friends.
waterfall. Not a hike for the faint of heart, this hike dropped down into an ancient volcanic valley with a suprising rate of decent. All were thankful for the links of chain providing hand holds and support. Then we were there and our mouths opened without yeilding words. The sight before us simply a magical creation of beauty. Heavy amounts of white water gushing off the top of a cliff well over 300 feet above us had the efffect of a giant firehose shooting straight down into a crystal blue pool surrounded by black volcanic rock, contrasting with the green vegetation. Swimmers tried in vain to swim closer to the point of the waterfalls enty into the massive pool, but were pushed back like small toys from the waterfall's own current. Around a corner we entered the clear cool waters for more exploring and pictures. Schools of foot long trout darted back and forth around us as we waded and starred in amazement. I long for a fishing pole and barbless hooks...

Advertisement



25th July 2011

Fantastic Costa Rica Vidastyle
Costa Rica was not on our radar until we read your blog. Flying from California what airline would you suggest and do you have any recommendations on hotels and/or specific tours.
11th August 2011

Costa Rican recommendations...
Thanks for reading my blog. From California I would consider American Airlines first, mostly due to the number of connecting options to Costa Rica (Houston and Miami). Most people feel they have to go to hotels on either coast, but for those interested in seeing Costa Rica from a pure cultural and native level, we found the interior region near the Arenal Volcano and the town of La Fortuna to offer amazing views and local tours. The Springs Resort & Spa is a "must do" destination offering superior facilities and service, combined with amazing views and natural hot springs. This is a first class property with only 47 rooms offering plenty of space for all to enjoy. While there, canopy zip line tours are a thrilling experience for all ages. Enjoy!!

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb