Costa Rica, Northern Nicoya Peninsula


Advertisement
Published: December 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Playa JunquillalPlaya JunquillalPlaya Junquillal

View from Hotel Iguanazul
Our choice for this part of the coast is the Hotel Iguanazul which was recommended to Neil by a Millwall fan now living in Costa Rica! The owner offered us a great discount and we have found ourselves the only guests. The hotel is amazing with great free form pool waves are beautiful, just as I expected the northern Nicoya Peninsula to look. For ages I´ve wanted to come this far north and it is one of the most beautiful coastlines I have ever set eyes on. Also we had forgotten just how hot Costa can get and it´s currently around 100 degrees in the shade hence some blog time!

It´s also good to be back in Costa, to have now gone full circle feels great and we have covered so many miles we now can really just chill and enjoy our last month away!

In the last 24 hours we have also added yet more animals to the ones seen while away, a scunk in the bar and this morning a black and yellow snake whizzed past our loungers! Everything is tons bigger here, giant frogs and giant crickets, been snapping away like a Japanese tourist so when
Swimming PoolSwimming PoolSwimming Pool

Neil enjoying the pool at Hotel Iguanazul - only hotel guests on night 1!
we are on a faster connection again photos to follow!

We also found we have a fine happy hour(s) here so after a tense set of negotiations Neil finally agreed to bring beer o´clock forward an hour to 4pm for the duration of our stay here!

Also managed a trip in Santa Cruz, the city with the dubious title of hottest in Costa and it certainly was. Kind of quaint and wild west like and certainly good fun for a couple of hours.

Our plan was to stay here a few days and then move further south back to Mal Pais but it´s so remote here that the roads are not open so it looks like we may just chill here until it´s time to return to the central Pacific coast and our Xmas home at Jaco. Curiously it seems that travel is more complicated in this part of Costa than most of the other Central American countries. This of course has resulted in Neil sticking his head back into the travel books and wondering how he could have planned it better which is not possible!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Waves Waves
Waves

Great view of the break outside the hotel
Taking it easyTaking it easy
Taking it easy

Neil relaxing before he knew there were snakes in the grass!
Beer O´ClockBeer O´Clock
Beer O´Clock

Happy to be back to the Imperial beers in Costa Rica
Costa Rica SunsetCosta Rica Sunset
Costa Rica Sunset

Another one!
Locust!Locust!
Locust!

Everything giant sized here!
KirstKirst
Kirst

Kirst enjoying the Imperials and wearing her new turtle t-shirt.
Playa JunquillalPlaya Junquillal
Playa Junquillal

Deserted beach walk
Beach barBeach bar
Beach bar

Found a lone tiny bar on Playa Junquillal
Santa CruzSanta Cruz
Santa Cruz

Hottest town in Costa Rica


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb