Joyful birds, crashing waves........and a few roosters, for good measure ! :)


Advertisement
Published: January 31st 2018
Edit Blog Post

SO lovely to leave an ice-storm behind, in British Columbia and wake to the wonderful sounds mentioned above!



We'd been looking forward to our second trip to Costa Rica for months, 'though my husband was concerned about returning in 'high season', as neither of us is fond of hoardes of tourists !

After a little research, I found the small fishing village of Brasilito & we spent 10 marvellous days there. The simple hotel was in the jungle, right beside the beach, with views of the ocean from the open restaurant. Our room was reminiscent of Colonial days ~ ceiling fan, creaky wood floors & heavy furniture....and we loved it ! Great price, too.

The beach was virtually deserted every day, especially the farther north we walked.... and having the waves to ourselves felt great.

There was a lot of ATV traffic roaring off to Playa Conchal everyday, especially at weekends, but, as I said, we just went in the opposite direction!

I really enjoyed the Tico people last trip, but the ones we met this time were even more warm and friendly. I guess the ones at the big resorts get a little jaded with tourists...and we could understand why ! ( We had a group of very rowdy ones on the plane from Dallas, who didn't stop talking for 3.5 hours !! ) Our poor ears.. ouch !

One morning, while sitting having a cold drink outside, a Tico man rode past on his bicycle, with his two little girls and Maltese poodle all aboard. It was my ' smile - of-the-day'. The pooch was sitting atop a blaring radio, in the front basket, quite unperturbed by the loud Latin beat 😊 These small glimpses of the culture were very appealing to me.



During our time there, we took local buses to different beaches and towns, including back to Tamarindo, to see a friend we made, last visit.

One evening, we walked along a dirt road, parallel to the beach, to a good restaurant. It was across the road from a soccer field and after supper we watched 14 boys of all ages playing a vigorous game, most of them barefoot !



Our last few days were spent in Hermosa, with a side trip to Playa del Coco. We both really responded to Hermosa, a really lovely place, with wild almond trees interspersed with the palm trees along the beach. Their canopy of gorgeous pink flowers was a sight to behold. Getting up early one morning, we watched some fishermen bring in their night's catch. WOW. What bounty. It filled two wheel barrows and two large plastic containers. No wonder that I lived on fresh fish and seafood for the entire time we were there. It was second to none !



So.... yes, we are more in love with Costa Rica than ever.

The wonderful fresh air and long beach walks definitely helped us sleep well, too.

Missing it all terribly, to say the least. Wonder how long it will take us to save for another trip ??


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb