Getting Lost on the Road to Alajuela


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Alajuela
December 31st 2006
Published: January 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Monteverde to Alajuela


MacawMacawMacaw

My favorite bird at Zoo Ave.
We never made it back out of our room at Las Orquideas. I finished my book though. :-) We were up early this morning. It was hard not to be, as our room was right next to the kitchen and breakfast started at 6:30 am. We were both up a lot in the middle of the night listening to the howling wind. It had been a long time since I had heard a windstorm like that.
After a breadfast tipico (rice and beans, eggs, toast, coffee, guava jelly) we were on the road to Alajuela...which was just as bumpy on the way down.
We were cranky (had to pee) by the time we got to (got lost in) Alajuela and found our hotel. I have to say, I have a new appreciation for all those Amazing Race Teams that lose their temper - I am the same way when there are no road signs and roads appear that aren't on maps. It's frustrating (when you have to pee).
The Hotel Pura Vida is really pretty - the town leaves a lot to be desired. Our room is great. An entire casita to ourselves. And the grounds are covered in plant life
The Road to MonteverdeThe Road to MonteverdeThe Road to Monteverde

See? Dry river bed!
and flowers with zoos of a cloudy (of course!) Poas Volcano in the distance.
After some relaxation time we headed over to Zoo Ave to see all the animals we hadn't seen in the wild. Then to the Megasuper, gas and relaxation until our 5 course New Years Eve meal starts at 8 pm. We've really enjoyed Costa Rica and it will be rough to go back home and back to work. I think we'll even miss the roads. And the 80s music. Well, maybe not the 80s music.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hotel Pura VidaHotel Pura Vida
Hotel Pura Vida

A little piece of paradise in the Central Valley.
At Zoo AveAt Zoo Ave
At Zoo Ave

Wes models the pen clipped on shirt look. Soon to be all the rage in Paris and Milan.
Turtle LinupTurtle Linup
Turtle Linup

The only turtles we saw...at Zoo Ave.
ToucanToucan
Toucan

Loved these birds. We saw several kinds at Zoo Ave.
Pthbbbbbbt!Pthbbbbbbt!
Pthbbbbbbt!

A monkey shows us just what he thinks at Zoo Ave.
At our CasitaAt our Casita
At our Casita

Me at the entrance to our Rainforest Casita. It had theme decorations inside - everything was green with frogs and birds and tree trunks growing out of the floor and into the ceiling.
Finally!  A Cloud-Free Volcano!Finally!  A Cloud-Free Volcano!
Finally! A Cloud-Free Volcano!

Poas from our casita at sunset. Finally cloud free!


7th February 2009

I love that picture of the parrot. Must be one of my favourite photographs on Travelblog! :)

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb