Festejos Patronales San Ramon 2006


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Festejos de San Ramon 2006Festejos de San Ramon 2006Festejos de San Ramon 2006

Changes to parque central...the annual festival for the town of San Ramon was finally upon us.
Festejos Patronales San Ramon 2006, August 24 to September 3. Our little town of San Ramon came alive. The preparations for the festival began while Craig was here earlier in the month. Roofs were built above the sidewalks surrounding the central park. ICE, our electric company strung electrical wiring all around the park and installing extra lights where needed. We were not prepared for what was about to hit our quiet, sleepy town.

Wednesday, August 30th, Callista and I headed to town leaving Bill at home with the yard work. Our local friends had told us it was the ‘big’ day in town for the festival. Cal and I LOVE street festivals so we excited to see what made this day different than the others during the festivities. What a SURPRISE! Our first inclination that something was very different was when driving into town we had to make a detour as our street into town was closed. We found a parking place several blocks away and headed into the central part of town. On our way we encountered the parade of Saints.

On this day of the festival the surrounding Cantons (towns) walk or drive in a parade around
Festival 2Festival 2Festival 2

Tuesday late afternoon, evening at the central park in San Ramon.
town with replicas of the patron saint surrounded by fresh flowers. I don’t know the significance of all the hoopla (not being Catholic) but I can say it was a heart warming experience. Watching the local people with their pride as they marched as well as those in the crowd cheering them on really touched me. I found myself no longer interested in the parade in front of me as I was distracted by the faces of the people in this town that I’ve fallen in love with. You can see more pics, Faces of San Ramon on our webshots page http://community.webshots.com/user/jennifsh0701


I’ve never seen so many people in San Ramon as we did on that day. Callista and I spent several hours looking at the handmade crafts, sampling the typical street fair food, cotton candy (algadon azucar), churro’s and, pollo ala plancha. The event was similar to the Mill Avenue Festival of the Arts in Tempe but on a much smaller scale and for a longer period.

During the ten day festival we spent many more hours in town than normal. There were days that we even drove in just to pick up dinner para llevar
Festival Parque CentralFestival Parque CentralFestival Parque Central

Wednesday morning,10:30a.m. What a difference a day makes.
from one of the booths. The ribs were really good! A good friend of ours worked as a cook one evening for a food booth. He cooked over 500 ribs that night!

The festival came to an end Sunday, September 3rd with another parade, this one with the traditional coffee carts. We were in town that day but didn’t stay for the parade as I wasn’t feeling well.

We’re happy to have been able to experience this festival as we’ve missed others in town since living here. I think this was the biggest we’ve seen thus far. Seeing the local’s show pride for their towns was an experience I won’t soon forget. While we enjoyed the excitement the festival brought, we’re happy to have our sleepy little town back.

PURA VIDA!

Jen, Bill, Callista and Bear (who spent too much time waiting in the car during our time at the festival)



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Festival ParadeFestival Parade
Festival Parade

Wednesday morning,10:30a.m.
Saints ParadeSaints Parade
Saints Parade

Each of the neighboring Cantons were represented in this parade with statues of the saint surrounded by fresh flowers.
Food Court Tico StyleFood Court Tico Style
Food Court Tico Style

I have to admit we ate here quite a bit during the fesitval.
Locals Locals
Locals

Bill likes the sights in San Ramon.
Enjoying the day, rain or shineEnjoying the day, rain or shine
Enjoying the day, rain or shine

It's very useful to carry an umbrella this time of year. The sun can be intense one minute with showers the next.
ParadeParade
Parade

Passing in front of the Museum.


9th September 2006

Wow!
Sorry we missed this event!!! Next year...

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb