Childrens Museum


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Museo de Los Ninos

The Museo De Llos Ninos is an awesome place for children and adults alike. It is located in central San Jose. The building was a former prison turned into a children’s museum. I don’t know the whole story of the transition but will include some pictures of an area of the museum they keep on exhibit of the former prison.

The museum was an unplanned trip this day. It was a place both Bill and I wanted to visit so we were willing participants. What a treat. This is a hands-on science and technology museum for children spread out on three floors. It is similar but not really to the science museum in Phoenix. Perhaps a combination of the Southwest Museum in Mesa and the Science Museum on Phoenix is a better comparison. The museums in Arizona are much more restrictive. Though, we ALL got in trouble for chewing gum in the museum. Here there are hands on activities at just about every exhibit. There are even areas for dress up in many exhibits.

Where do you start to explain the Children’s Museum? As I said previously it was a former prison. Each of the cells has been turned into an exhibit area. Walls have been removed so some areas are larger than others but the look and feel of a prison is still present even with the brightly painted walls.

The exhibits range from Egypt with mummies to music rooms, magnet and energy studies to aviation with flight simulators on computers, tracing the roots of coffee from it’s origin to the markets and banana’s from the beginning of the plant to processing and shipping. There was an exhibit with the rooms tilted like in a fun house to show … I’m not really sure but it was Bill and Hernan’s favorite. The pictures will have to do the talking for this adventure.

There was so much to see and do at the museum that I would recommend planning to spend and entire day if you have children. I am not usually a museum person as I get bored easily reading all the plaques. Bill and Callista on the other hand enjoy spending hours at art museums and such. The Museo De Los Ninos had enough to keep us all interested and excited. I believe we spent about five hours at the museum and it was not enough time to see and do all that they had to offer.

Pura Vida!
Jennifer, Bill, Callista and Bear (who was very unhappy the family left him at home for this adventure!)



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Group picGroup pic
Group pic

Karol, Hernan, Brayer and Callista
Playing on simulatorsPlaying on simulators
Playing on simulators

This pic gives you the feel of the old jail.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb