Costa Rica


Advertisement
Published: December 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wake up with the sun...and the chickens. You could hear these big hens in their coop as they rustled around chortling to themselves and then letting loose with a "bock, bock, bock, bock, BGAWK!!!" The shower is huge, cool features include colorful tiles and a slightly sloped floor leading to a drain in the corner of the shower instead of the center... we like this system much better than our American shower with the drain in the middle of the floor and no slope to help move the water out and away.
Pietro and Kenneth arrive and we load up Kenneth's taxi and drive into San Ramon to go to the Farmer's Market that is open every weekend. I had told Piper about the juice that is made from running stalks of sugar cane through a press multiple times and so she was anxious to sample some. Everything looked so fresh and good! The vendors would let you sample anything - they'd cut open fruits, offer slices of pineapple, and were very nice. Having Pietro there to help me figure out prices (colones vs. the dollar) was a huge help. I took pictures of the orchids for sale for my mother in law - at home they'd have been $20 or more. Here, they were $5 a pot.
Next, we were off to a natural waterfall that some enterprising group had built a large public pool, waterslide, and soda (outdoor eatery) around. The water was freezing - Piper tried to get in, but she was too cold, but the waterfall was beautiful! We ate lunch right there at the pool and in retrospect it was one of the best meals we had in Costa Rica. $2.00 got us a huge plate of beans, rice, plantains, potatoes, and pulled pork in a tangy sauce with tortillas on the side.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Farmer's MarketFarmer's Market
Farmer's Market

Orchids $5/pot
Farmer's MarketFarmer's Market
Farmer's Market

Trying sugarcane juice
Farmer's MarketFarmer's Market
Farmer's Market

Extracting the sugarcane juice


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb