Cabalgata in Barranca


Advertisement
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Trying out different horsesTrying out different horsesTrying out different horses

Everyone asks if I want a picture of Callista on their horse. They don't realize that Calli will ride off with their horse.
At the Palmares tope earlier in the month we learned about an upcoming Cabalgata in a neighboring town and made plans with friends to attend. Callista was invited to ride again with our neighbor and anxiously awaited the day. Cabalgata's are small topes generally a fundraiser for a local church or school, today was a fund raiser for the school in Barranca.

At 11am sharp Callista dragged us up to Angel's house to make sure all the arrangements were made for her ride. The excitement mounted as other Caballista's (ka by eestas) arrived. Angel and several other friends of his rode their horses to the parade as Barranca is only about fifteen minutes from our house. It's the opposite direction from San Ramon proper. We made arrangements on where to meet up later for Calli to mount up and watched a parade of horse trailers go by our house before we finally left for the festivities.

We drove to the school and waited for the arrival of the horses while snacking on typico food and quenching our thirsts with Marinda's (Orange Soda) and Imperials. Of the three horse festivals we've attended, Bill was most impressed with this one. I
Kitana, Callista's mountKitana, Callista's mountKitana, Callista's mount

The horse Callista rides on with Angel.
have to agree the smaller crowd did make it much more enjoyable. We even stayed around for the dancing that started once the riders (and Callista) had returned to the school.

With the number of Imperial cans on or around just our table I'd say the school made a healthy profit at this year! There were those of us not drinking but we donated by buying lots of delicious food. For a great party with a bunch of locals look for a cabalgata in a small town near you!

I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon, fresh air, poquito sol, horses, family, friends... Pura Vida!

Jen, Bill, Callista and Bear
www.anewlifeincostarica.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

A boy and his horseA boy and his horse
A boy and his horse

He came to ride to the Cabalgata along with our neighbors group. Callista was thrilled when he asked if she'd like to ride him.
Nice black horseNice black horse
Nice black horse

Too small for Callista.
And they're off.....And they're off.....
And they're off.....

The horses take the lead to Barranca.
Before the partyBefore the party
Before the party

I took this shortly after arriving around noon, hungry and wishing the food was hot and ready to be served.
Cabalgata Cabalgata
Cabalgata

Callista is on the back of third horse in the center.


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb