Alajuela to La Fortuna


Advertisement
Published: March 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Strawberry SmoothieStrawberry SmoothieStrawberry Smoothie

Megan enjoying a Strawberry Smoothie at Lunch in La Fortuna.
After a great Breakfast at the Coconut House we left with backpacks on back to the town of La Fortuna. With the help of Heinke (the owner of Coconut House) we decided that we were going to take the public autobus from downtown Alajuela.

Since Coconut House is residential we had a little over 1.5 km to walk to the bus station. Since there are (literally) no street signs we were given a map with recognizable points on them as a source of direction to get from the hotel to the autobus station. In this case, there were only a handful of gas stations in this part of Alajuela so her map used gas stations as places to turn, i.e. take a "right at the Trans station" and take a "left at the Shell".

Turns out that was just the beginning of the autobus adventure...

When we arrive at the station there isn't a hint of English instructions anywhere, not to mention anyone in the ticket booth! After going over the dingy map on the wall several times Megan was able to locate a fellow traveler who told us that there were no buses directly to La Fortuna! We
Pool at TabaconPool at TabaconPool at Tabacon

Swimming Pool at Tabacon
had to head up to San Carlos... of course, this isn't mentioned anywhere... What's then even more confusing is that some people were referring to San Carlos AS La Fortuna. Whew! Talk about stranger in a strange land... anyway, we ended up using our final destination of the Arenal Volcano as how we phrased our question... Now THIS was the way to communicate! When you have an active volcano in your country people know it!

So, once we transferred us and our backpacks from San Carlos we ended up taking another bus to La Fortuna. Once in La Fortuna we had an awesome lunch at a roadside restaurant that included fantastic (and ultra-fresh) fruit smoothies!

We then took a taxi from downtown La Fortuna to the Tabacon resort...
Tabacon was where the trip REALLY began. I've never been to a resort before, and this was nothing short of incredible... now we REALLY know how the "other half" lives. This was the part of the trip that was the actual "honeymoon".

Not only did it feel a lot "safer" than the streets of Alajuela it was catered to pampering the visitor, something we're not even used to at home... we
Rock Pond at TabaconRock Pond at TabaconRock Pond at Tabacon

A smooth rock pool at Tabacon.
were handed cold fruit drinks the second we walked through the gates and someone else (yes, someone else) carried my bags! I could go on and on, but the pictures on this page can tell you the visual story of what Tabacon is and how awesome it was. It's clean, it's gorgeous and nothing short of amazing!

What's REALLY incredible is that there are a whole series (like 12-15) natural hot springs that range in temperature that are heated from the active Arenal Volcano! I sat in most of them and they are all fantastic, even the hottest ones where I couldn't even take the lens cap off to take a picture!

Another very cool thing about Tabacon is that is caters to vegetarians! I had an amazing plate of Subzi Tandoori vegis with a thick black bean soup.

A day ending with the comfort of a huge room, a comfortable bed and hotel provided slippers!


...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Infinity Pool at TabaconInfinity Pool at Tabacon
Infinity Pool at Tabacon

An Infinity Pool at Tabacon
Hot Springs of TabaconHot Springs of Tabacon
Hot Springs of Tabacon

Hot Springs of Tabacon
More Hot Springs at TabaconMore Hot Springs at Tabacon
More Hot Springs at Tabacon

More Hot Springs at Tabacon.
Warm Hot Springs at TabaconWarm Hot Springs at Tabacon
Warm Hot Springs at Tabacon

More warm Hot Springs at Tabacon.


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb