Los Canones Canopy Tour


Advertisement
Published: December 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a couple of days of independent activities, we decided to book a couple of tour activities. We did some research and decided on the Los Canones Canopy tour. Canopy tours are the zip lines that go over the tree tops and canyons, giving a different perspective of the rainforest. There were 15 cables covering a distance of about 3km, going from platform to platform. We woke up to a rainy day - but as I mentioned before, nothing stops tourism here. So off we went.

We arrived and were suited up in our gear - harness, helmet and a leather hand grip (that works as your brake). There were about 20 people in our group - they drove us up to the first platform where we received our instruction. The guides were nice - and explained in great detail what we should and shouldn´t do, and most importantly - what their hand signals mean and how to brake. The 4 guides got into position and we lined up for the first cable line - Edward and I were towards the front of the line, so we didn´t have to wait too long. When you hear the instructions - where to place your hand, where to hold your head, where to place your free hand, how to position your legs, what to do if you loose momentum and get stuck in the middle, how to brake - it’s a bit intimidating-the first line was short and not to steep, so we had a chance to get the hang of it. And it was FUN!!!! We went through the first 3 lines in quick succession, and then we waited for the rest of the group at the 4th platform. Once everyone got through the first 3, the guides leap frog ahead to into position on the next few lines. Some of the lines were very long and steep - others shorter and slower. Once we got used to it, we were able to enjoy the scenery a bit more - which even in the rain was quite fun. The longest line was so far that you couldn´t see the next platform - of course it was pouring like crazy, so hard I could barely keep my eyes open. We were covered with mud and dirt spatter from the spray off the cable lines! Towards our last set of lines - the rains and wind REALLY kicked up - we were waiting at a platform for the group, the platform was suspended around a tree and it was swaying all over the place! We were up really high too - but when you are on the platform, waiting for your turn the guides hook your equipment to a safety line, so it’s a little piece of mind 😊. Of course, as we finished our last set of lines, the rains stopped and the sun came out. Sorry there´s no pictures for this excursion - with the rains, and not being sure that we would be able to get any shots, we didn´t bring the camera. We did have fun though, and would consider it again - on a sunny day! So if we do it again in another location - we will try to get some pics of us in our gear and zipping along.

Los Canones is at a large resort hotel, so afterwards we were able to walk around their grounds - they have hot springs, landscaped paths and some animals there - including crocodiles, caimans, and a leaf cutter ant farm - which was really interesting to see, especially after seeing so many of them in the forest. The display showed what their nest looks like underground - they bring the leaves underground and chew them up to make food for the fungus that grows in their nest. We were sorry we didn´t have the camera, as we were pretty close to the crocs - and they were HUGE.

Overall - we are having a great time here in Fortuna. We have spent more time here than most tourists, and are not disappointed. People have been very friendly and helpful, and patient with our beginning Spanish. Sure the area is built up and touristy, but its part of its kitschy appeal. There’s tons of stuff to do here - from leisurely lounging to extreme sports. People looking for a remote, deserted area won´t find it here. Although we did some hiking and saw very few people when we were out on the trails in the morning. The one thing we have noticed is that many of the admission prices in the Lonely Planet guidebook are a bit off - in some cases the prices has been almost double, could be a combination of inflation and mis-information. We´ve found some good food here too - best casado at Kristinas just past Don Rufinos-super tasty and not expensive like many of the other places up the street on the main drag. Great wood fired thin crust pizza at Anchios past burger king (al little pricy, but totally worth it). The Mega Super and Super Christian grocery stores right in town have also been super convenient for cheap lunch supplies. Pito Pito is a great little local place to have an inexpensive beer with some ticos for only 1000 colones, and Hotel Fortuna has a 4-6 happy hour with 2 for 1500 colones. Yesterday, we found another great place with happy hour from 6-8 and Imperials for only 800 colones. Nothing like an icy cold beer on a hot day after a full day of activity.

We are definitely keeping busy, and enjoying ourselves. Keep in touch -we love hearing your comments and emails!


Advertisement



31st December 2009

:)
Yum, all of that food sounds great. We lost our sun today and it's suppose to rain for New Year and get cold again. But remember we shiver but don't shovel. Looking forward to connecting with you tonight. Movie is at 2:20 so we should be home by 5 our time. xoxoxoxox
31st December 2009

fun
Hi guys- Really enjoying reading of your adventures- keep up the wonderful explorations and activities- I can remember the forest trails, streams, canopies,etc. from our own trip ( 6 yrs. ago?) Only thing is you're having so much fun that it can't be legal! Stan

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb