From Liberia to La Fortuna


Advertisement
Published: January 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Coconut MilkCoconut MilkCoconut Milk

Why stop for a can of pop when you can stop for a coconut?
We started the day in Liberia after a restful night in the Hotel Liberia and a great traditional breakfast of rice, beans, plantains, and some delicious coffee. We wandered the streets of town, checking out the grocery and the city Chistmas tree which seemed oddly out of place on the 90 degree morning. Once we had our rental car, maps, and some snacks, we hit out for La Fortuna.

Of course, no hot morning car journey is complete without stopping for cold coconut milk which we picked up at a road side stand just out of town. And we had to stop for lunch, which we had overlooking Lago Arenal and enjoyed the usual 'casado', a plate with a fish or meat, plantains, rice, beans, salad and often potato.

We arrived at La Fortuna and found our lodging at the Cabianas Catarata which overlook at rushing river. We sat on the porch and watched toucans working from tree to tree and enjoying grapefruit and star fruit picked from the trees around our hut.

For dinner we had casado again, this time downtown La Fortuna at a great place called Soda Viquez. (Soda is what the small, traditional roadside cafes are called with usually feature casado as the center part of the meal.)

Tomorrow there is talk of walking through the jungle canopy, yep, hanging bridges and perhaps some farm tours. We'll let you know.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb