Volcano, hot springs and more rain


Advertisement
Published: January 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

5 January 2016.No blog yesterday as it was a travel day from Tortuguero to Arenal, high up in the mountains and overlooking the Arenal Volcano. Well in theory that is! The volcano is only visible about 70 days a year and today isn't one of them. This hotel is more luxurious than previous accommodation, each cabina is set in its own garden and each has an uninterrupted view of the volcano, and there is a laundry service and hair driers! Today's guide was Felix, a jaunty little chap whose voice had one volume - loud. We trekked up the side of the volcano on a path carved out by the lava flow in 1968, the last time it erupted. Vegetation is lush (high rainfall) and very varied, from bromeliads to coffee trees and lilies in beautiful vibrant colours. There were also 'square bananas which are fed to the pork'! Well that's what Felix told us. For a brief moment we saw about 80% of the volcano but we're not allowed to climb to the top so no peeping in to see it hissing and bubbling. Then the heavens opened again and out came the ponchos. After this it was John's turn to be brave in the hot springs. The temperatures vary from 38 to 40C. His courage was helped by the cocktail bar and the rest of us had no problem joining him. There is a distinct pattern to this holiday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



9th January 2016
DSC_0236

Happy oldies
You four are most definitely looking distinctly more relaxed, chilled and youthful as this blog goes on. Must be all the cocktails, and warm springs you have been bathing in. Glad to see another post, was beginning to think we had lost you somewhere between Costa Rica and Cuba!
9th January 2016

Waylors vs the Volcano
Well done, John, glad to hear you faced down the hot springs with a cocktail in hand!
11th January 2016
DSC_0236

great family shot here.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb