The day of the toucan


Advertisement
Published: January 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 6th January 2016



Woke to more rain for a 7.30am start to go on the hanging bridges walk though the cloud forest as it is aptly named. We are really getting good use of our $5 ponchos. The walk involved a steady climb and then crossing ravines at forest canopy level by means of 6 suspension bridges, which swayed as we walked across them. This was a bit un-nerving. We didn’t see much wild life along the walk due to the rain but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

The afternoon trip was described as a ‘boat safari’, which we thought, would be a gentle trip on a raft or canoe. We looked nervously at each other when they started pumping up our small inflatable, handed us paddles and showed us the river, which was flowing too quickly for our liking. Off we went and it soon became one of our highlights as we were able to get very close to iguanas, herons, bats and were amused by our guide giving his howler money impression – it worked and they answered back. After about 10km we landed on a mud bank and had fresh pineapple, which are absolutely delicious in Costa Rica. On the way back our driver spotted first a sloth and then a group of toucans high up in a tree. Suzanne in particular was very excited about this and it was a perfect way to end our Costa Rica visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement




9th January 2016

Wildlife
So I'm not particularly one for wildlife but even I was incredibly impressed by these pictures, can't imagine the excitement that joe and Henry and James will get looking at these!
9th January 2016
At last a chestnut mandible toucan

Farewell ponchos
Sorry to hear this is probably the last post featuring your famous ponchos! The boat ride sounds amazing.
9th January 2016
At last a chestnut mandible toucan

Farewell ponchos
Sorry to hear this is probably the last post featuring your famous ponchos! The boat ride sounds amazing.
11th January 2016

also sad to see those ponchos go! How was dad on that very flimsy boat?

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb