Volcan Arenal


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Alajuela » Arenal
September 1st 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Huge eruptionHuge eruptionHuge eruption

this one stopped everyone in their tracks.
Wow what a sight,

We still have the car and we are heading for the Volcano. we will stop on the way and see the tourist place Santa Ellena, this is a place where the animals have left because too many people have cleaned up and sanitised for lack of a better word. the Zip line here is the only thing worth comming for but we enjoyed the one we did so we gave this a miss and just went on a big Sky walk where you just go on a hike and cross the vallies on a high suspension bridge. They were pretty rustick and lynne was weary of their weight loading but as usual we survived.

We are less than 2kms from an active volcano. Let me make one thing clear the Observatory is the best place to see it! We looked at different options and the only place which had a view of the lava flow was the observatory also the weather has to be on your side because we spoke to quite a few people who had made repeated trips to the volcano to see some action and been sorly dissapointed when they found it was clouded over for the entire time they were there. Unfortunatley the best camera shots happened at night and my little sony cyber shot was not up to the task. You can see the eruptions all day but at nitght it light up as the red hot boulders roll down the mountain and crash into each other expolding into a brilliant light show. The eruptions during the day are huge but not so brilliant. There were some loud gasseous explosions and all were in stunned silence when ther occured.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Santa EllenaSanta Ellena
Santa Ellena

In the humming bird garden.
Costa Rica is very green Costa Rica is very green
Costa Rica is very green

and power efficency is a big priority.
Eruption.Eruption.
Eruption.

A big one
San JoseSan Jose
San Jose

Lynne put this one in as the maniquines here are alittle different. Can you see how.


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 88; dbt: 0.0963s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb