Caribbean Cruise - Fifth stop: Bonaire


Advertisement
Published: December 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bon Bini! Welcome to Bonaire. Today we stopped at the beautiful island of Bonaire. Other than Aruba for example, Bonaire does not have too many tourists (yet?!), but the nature is very impressive. There are way more Dutch than Americans here and we really got the impression that we are in a way more "natural" place, which kept its own charme. From the capital Kralendijk we started all around the island. We saw wild flamingos and goats, passed the huge saltfields and the beautiful coral beaches. Our first stop was at the old slavehuts and we were able to look and also crawl inside, and I really mean crawl. They were very tiny and you could get a real feeling how the slaves had to live back then. After a small stop on a lovely beach, we turned to the inner part of the island and drove through very unrealistic nature. For miles and miles we saw cactus, iguanas and very rough landscapes. Finally we arrived at another coast, where no plants were growing: an old coral riff. This must be how the moon looks like. We drove back to the capital and had enough time to walk through the very tiny innercity and visit some stores. In the late afternoon we left this island, which was so different from all the other countries we have been before so far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb