Belize


Advertisement
Belize's flag
Central America Caribbean » Belize
October 5th 2011
Published: October 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The next day, with reluctance, we left the island, but we knew we were going to another island so we weren’t sad. The Mexican border was mad as the army were there with sniffer dogs & machine guns, checking our bags. After 6 hours on a bus followed by 3 boats, we got to Caye Caulker Island, off Belize. Full of rasta men, selling jewellery. On the way there, we passed a house in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, miles from anywhere, no electricity & doubtful if they had any toilet either. We went for dinner on the beach, where they would take the beer outa your hand & then ask if you wanted another. The place is full of crabs. Was nice to talk to all the locals as English is their native language. We went for a nice breakfast the next day, except for the fact it took an hour to get the food, even though we were the only ones there. They really don’t believe in stressing out, hence the islands motto is “Caye Caulker – Go Slow”. Their transport on the island is bikes or golf carts, cars are not allowed for obvious reasons, they go to fast..!! We took out the kayak from the hostel & went for a paddle around but returned after an hour because Jonathan was tired from having to do all the rowing. There was huge fish around the boat but there is a sign there saying no fishing, feeding area only. Hence why all the fish were there. It was time for a beer so off we went to the lazy lizard bar, full of rasta men. We sat at the tables that are in the water. Was really cool, until the camera & box of cigarettes that had the money in it, all went in to the water.
We left there the next day & headed to Belize City. Mad rasta taxi driver, who was half hanging out of the car talking to people, brought us to the bus station. Hoped on a chicken bus for 6 hours all the way to Punta Gorda, in south Belize. Amazing view along the journey & everyone seems to know everyone. So many different churches of different religions along the way. Punta Gorda is a class little town, very laid back people. As we were having dinner by the water, there was a tremor that lasted about 3 seconds & was about 5.2 in magnitude. The whole building shook. Roma thought she was gona die while I was hoping there would be another, great buzz from it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb