When Lightening Strikes.....!


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After staying in Placencia for more than an hour we decided that it was by far not one of our favorite spots! Our one and only night in Placencia, Belize was very eventful so I thought I'd write a blog dedicated to that night only!<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto;" />To start off with we found everyone there quite rude, most of our travelling all the locals have been very friendly, we assumed that it was because it seem to be a regular American holiday spot so they were used to seeing foreign faces. There was only 2 hostels there that were awful but the only thing in our price range so after picking between buggy old smelly and dirty or a bit less buggy old no running water and a bit cleaner we went for the 2nd one!! At the restaurant my food wasnt very good either.. And it was a meal I have been wanting to try, coconut shrimp curry... More like a flavourless soup! Although naturally Steve polished off his plate and mine! After walking down to the beach to try and get some space from the tourists we found a bar and played some pool! At around 9 half 9 the power went out, at what we thought at the time was just the bar. So deciding to head back to our grotty hostel we realized that the entire town had lost power! Luckily thanks to our torches we found our way back to the hostel! After ruffling around in the dark we got into bed and got comfortable.. Well Steve did but with no fan, no electricity so no light and what I felt like was bugs everywhere relaxing was not on the agenda for me. So with my persuasion we decided to head back to the beach where at least there was a breeze not knowing what was to come..! By this time it was 10ish and Steve was already asleep on the beach loungers.. I was watching the heat lightening light up the sky which was magnificent ! After an hour or so of that and the power still out a cold breeze of air swept in and in the matter of seconds the skies opened!!! We ran for shelter which was just outside the bar and there Steve quickly made his bed using a piece of cardboard and his pillow. I flatly refused to join as he actually looked homeless! And although that might of been the better option for the night when people started asking if we had anywhere to stay I disowned Steve ! It was only what was to come that could interfere steves sleepy state. By this time the rain was torrential and the entire town was being lit up by the strikes of lightening! We eventually moved into the covered bar area and watched this massive awful storm anxiously with steve now suggesting we should take the fetal position under the bar table. We counted 7 big electric blue lightening strikes striking something no more than 200 yards away from us! One bolt actually hit the boat in the water of which there was a family in there through all of this (we met them earlier on in the day) it must of hit the mast as sparks flew off the boat and an awful cracking noise followed. We all sat there anxiously hoping they were all ok and realizing this storm was getting a bit too close for comfort!!! But still decided to stay there and watch anticipating the next lightening strike! At about 2 in the morning the storm eventually died down so still with no power we headed back to the hostel to get some Kip before our boat journey to Honduras. Later we did find out that the storm we witnessed was the worst one they had had in over 6 years!!!!<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto;" />So were pleased to say were safe and nothing major happened and it's another story to add to our adventures and to share with you!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0988s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb