Placencia Beach and Village: Belize at its best


Advertisement
Published: January 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Placencia is a long peninsula in southern Belize with a seaside beach on the Caribbean side and marina studded, mangrove shore on the inside (lot’s of 40 footers; catamarans and single keelers). Located at its southern tip is Placentia village. Running through this village is a 3km-long concrete boardwalk; it runs from a fishing wharf and marina through the tourist end of town, and all through all the hotels, shops, beach paths, restaurant/bars – carrying names like “The Pickled Parrot”, “Tipsy Tuna”, “Barefoot Bar”, “D’Tatch Bar”…. sort of captures the feeling of, “A little drinking village with a fishing problem”. Actually fishing is not a problem – all sorts of lobster, Wahoo, Tuna, Snapper, Conch and ‘Cuda are available fresh at wharfside O’Mars or at any of the restaurants, especially as luncheon promotional treats -- “If you’re going to have a few beers, we got to get you in, early in the day”







Without a doubt Placencia is the best beach in Belize; it’s mostly an 80 yard wide strip of sand, backed by coconut palms, then tourist ville and boardwalk, and then the main arterial road running the length of the 30 mile peninsula. Though there’s lively bar music on Friday and weekend evenings, its mostly laid-back and quiet, weighed by a preponderance of early retiring retirees; as a retiree you can still rent a beach front cabana here, and catch your morning Jack fish for breakfast off the wharf or beach.







For the young’uns like me, there’s lots of offshore activities – kayaking, sailing, fishing and snorkeling. A couple of days ago 2 of us who met at Glover’s reef, joined a group for a day long outing to Laughing Bird Cay – the forever diving Pelicans laugh all the way to bellyfuls of fish that surround the cay. The snorkeling was spectacular: crystal clear water down 20’+, wonderful corals, every colour and shape of fish, lobsters, cloud-like schools of fingerlings, crustaceans, sea cucumbers and lurking ‘cudas. It’s all in a protected National Marine Park; and of course a Belizean fair lunch beach (chicken, beans, fried rice and salad) was served on the coral sand beach, under shade of coconut palms.







Well that’s it for Belize; I’m currently reporting from Belize City and will be taking off for San Jose, Costa Rica in a couple of hours. Best wishes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



31st January 2016

To Peter - Unbelievable ! - In Belize or Placencia are you truly a diving Pelican ??
Do let us know if you receive this message ? Our love and more Cheers , Us Two xxxxxx
31st January 2016

The Pelican flies. Now in Quepos, Costa Rica
Thanks for your note. Do hope everything is working out well. I'll give you a call. Love. Pete
1st February 2016

Hi Peter, It was great to meet you at the Belize Zoo. You've really captured the essence of Placencia and I hope you'll consider doing a post about the zoo. I look forward to getting together upon your return to Canada.
1st February 2016

TEC Blog
Hi Tom, You must have missed my Belize Zoo blog -- I'll send you links by e-mail. Regards. Pete

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb