A Little Early for Santa?


Advertisement
Published: December 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We all know him as the mysterious guy that makes his appearance on Christmas Eve long after all the little kids are sleeping, but he makes his arrival a little early in Placencia.

For some of these kids, we have to think that this community event is really a big deal, it could even be the whole deal.

We can feel the exicitement and anticipation in the air. What time is it?? How much longer?? There's maybe150 kids running around, I'm sure every kid from the whole area, plus parents, volunteers and on-lookers, like us.

We had sponsored one of the gifts earlier in the month with a $10 donation so thought we'd come by for a little Christmas spirit. We recognize our caretaker's kids but otherwise we don't know anyone there. Some kids are all dressed up, others are sneaking off to the sides lighting fire crackers, kids will be kids.

Where is he, what's taking so long...finally after what seems like an eternity (but was only really half an hour,) at approximately 4pm, central time, he arrives.... by fire truck. The teachers had organized the kids into a couple of lines to provide a welcome row. When they tried to get the group of kids to sing a Christmas carol, it was evident that these kids don't know the words and the song just fades out. Maybe the concept of Santa is still new to this area, maybe the entire world has not yet become completely commercialized.

Still, what is Christmas without presents for kids and there was one for every kid, even if it is a little early by our schedule back home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb