Belize - Orange Walk & Lamanai


Advertisement
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Playa del Carmen I took a bus down to the Mexican border and changed onto a Belizean bus to take me across the border, which was a completely painless experience. The change from Mexico to Belize was immediately noticeable - Belize was certainly more rustic and had a Carribean feel to it (not that I've ever been there!). The racial mix was also noticeable too, it is a complete melting pot, with the largest racial group being Creole (decendents of British pirates and African slaves) who speak a strange (and indeciphable) dialect of English, blacks and then amongst others - Chinese (not many, but there were a few Chinese restaurants around!) and Mennonites.

My first port of call was a town called Orange Walk so i could visit some Maya ruins at Lamanai. There wasn't much to the town itself and I checked into a horrible little hotel for the two nights I was there and the door to my room had a very charming 'No smoking - death' message written on it! The ruins themselves were reached by taking a spectacular boat trip along the 'New River' (only the British could call a river used for thousands of years 'New'!), although being hurricane season it did rain rather a lot. The ruins at Lamani were impressive, one of the longest Mayan sites in continuous use, almost 3000 years until the Spanish arrived in the 16th century.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb