So, now were here


Advertisement
Published: January 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Belizean SunsetBelizean SunsetBelizean Sunset

On the walk home from swimming, overlooking a peanut plantation.
Arrived in San Igacio on the 3rd. Not really sure if I had any upfront expectations before embarking on this adventure, mostly just to get to know a new country and culture. Our plane got in, and we recognized a few familiar faces before all cramming into a van to the other side of the country. Fortunately, the western border is only about 2hrs away. Our accomodations are fantastic. Most of the UVM crew resides in an inn. We have filled it to capacity and then some, however, if I have to live in a triple for 3 months life I can't complain about where we are living. In some ways, I think a home stay would be more beneficial to integrating ourselves into the community. We are still getting to know one another and get comfortable in new surroundings, thus consistently travel as a herd of white people. I have to say I'm getting a little sick of this, but we are beginning to become more independent now that classes at Galen have started.
On our first actual day here, we were all turned loose on the town to do whatever we wanted. There are Mayan ruins within walking distance, so that seemed like the most feasible option. The Caribbean sun bore down on us as we started hiking up the hill, at what other time than the hottest part of the day. Fortunately, the ruins, Cahal Pech afforded some shade. The best part about the ruin was the guide and his family. John, the guide, is a wealth of knowledge about Mayan archeology and was able to tell us the basics of Mayan culture. After his brief dissertation, everyone split to explore the area. Johns entire family comes to the ruins with him, so two of his boys happily gave us a guided tour spewing facts about indigenous plants, various aspects of the temple, and the climate.
After the ruins, there was talk of swimming. Naturally you have to pay for the pool so that was an option, but we had met a local who told us of a place 1 mile in the opposite direction where the rivers meet. We swam there and jumped off the rickety wooden bridge. Since, this has become our running spot. It's wonderful to wake up and run down there, however, since swimming there we have heard that crocodiles reside there, and I'm
Cahal PechCahal PechCahal Pech

Mayan ruins
not so sure I have the desire to become anything's dinner.

Advertisement



18th January 2007

We Miss you!!!
Hey Cort! Willow and I think about you daily and are happy to hear all is going so well. In fact we are extremely jealous too, it is finally winter here and the snow is certainly plentiful. Although it is extremely beautiful, its a bit too cold for our liking, especially Willow's paws. School started yesterday, back to the good old grind and late nighters. Nothing too exciting. And the weekends aren't the same with out yah! But I do regret to tell you that Greys has been pretty good lately and you are kinda missing out on the drama, but have no fear, that's what DVD's are for! We'll have to have a marathon when you get back. Love yah Lots!!! Willow misses you too!
26th January 2007

Some questions
What kind of crocodiles? Have you seen any poisonous snakes? Are there piranhas?
31st January 2007

re: some questions
Hi Stuart, I will put up the pictures of the crocodile we saw, and the snake also. We thought the snake was a fertilantz, which are supposed to be very posinous, but it turns out it's an imposter, and uses the markings of the posinous snake as a defense mechanism. Fortunately, no piranhas, but we did see some jellyfish and eels.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb