Meeting Boomer in Belize


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi,

We were upgrades on all our flights to fist class!!! Grandpa dont worry we are getting all you messages.

Jake XXX


Hello
I went to the zoo today and my favirite animals were the black jaguar ,the harpy and the giant stork.

Toby xxx



Thanks for all the birthday messages. Claudia, the insect balm was immediately useful - thank you so much. Also, we are recieving all your messages, whether it says unsent or not, so don't worry on that score.
We arrived in Belize City yesterday afernoon, stepping onto the burning tarmac and into the dripping tropical heat. It was quite a contrast with the cool pacific breeze and wide freeways of SF, which we left at 3am in the morning. They had advanced the time of our flight when we arrived at the terminal which meant they only had first class seats available on both legs to Belize - Toby in particular was delighted, a picture of jet set living in his huge recliner surrounded by complimentary drinks and attentive service. I have to admit it was a lovely way to spend my birthday, relaxing in an armchair next to a window at 30,000 ft, gazing out over the wildernesses of north and central America, from the Rio Grande to the new Mexican desert, the Texan plains and then on down across the bay of Mexico past azure coloured reefs and finally inland by the Yucatan Peninsula and along the mangrove swamps and rainforest fringes of Belize. A better 'movie' by miles than the one showing on the airplane screens..
Now we are driving a little 4WD suzuki along the Hummingbird Highway, making our way towards Cayo district and the Guatamalan border. Last night we had our first meeting with a CROCODILE on the lagoon beneath the stilts of our jungle hut: T was amazed and resolved to spend the night out on the deck, keeping one eye open for crocs and turtles while listening to Harry Potter tapes. This morning we went to the zoo, a forest enclosure for endangered and injured animals with the most exotic creatures I've ever seen - A giant Harpy Eagle with a taste for anteaters, a giant stork called Boomer who, Baba like, was rescued after his parents were hunted and shot, and an extremely rare and beautiful black jaguar. I wonder what they made of the 2 exotic creatures in shorts and baseball caps with english accents!
Speak again soon, and sorry to hear about the heat and powercuts at home - it's headline news on the bar room TV here at Caesar's bar in San Ignacio. A small world indeed..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb