Another relaxing day in our new “small town” (Caye Caulker, Belize)


Advertisement
Published: November 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We were going to go out snorkeling today, but Ann caught a little stomach bug (surprise, surprise) and we decided to wait a day. After all, we have the best relaxing environment and had not done our blogs for days. Internet at the hotel is sketchy at best and impossible to get in our room. Thus, we have a small window where we can “see” the computer (literally ‘see’ the computer, as we have to use it outside for internet and the sun prohibits seeing the screen AT ALL!) and have internet at the same time.

We have had more time to relax than any time in our lives. Ann has read several books already (and no publications regarding the law and the practice of same) and highly recommends “Killing Kennedy” as a must-read. We sat outside our hotel, listening to chatter, boats, and the sea-breeze. It is a bit cooler today, but sunny. The morning flew by, doing just nothing at all!

Later, we decided to explore the west side of the caye in the golf cart. This area was no tourist area. This area is the area in which the locals truly live, in half-constructed houses, some without electricity or water. Again, children are everywhere, happy and playing. Parents are always present, whether it is the fact that they have nothing better to do, or it is just the culture seems to matter not. Everyone smiles and says, “Hi!” Litter is pretty much everywhere around this area, however.

We had lunch “downtown’ on the water; most everything is on the water (see photo of Clay’s lobster tail and Ann’s BLT). They have the best coleslaw here because it so lightly dressed and fresh. We took Jacob and Kwashy our leftovers and they were very appreciative. Steve had told us that Jacob still lives on top of someone’s roof, despite his success. While talking with Jacob, we met the local animal shelter owner. He told us that people come here from the US and Canada and while they are here, they adopt animals and have them shipped home (who knew!). There are not as many animals here as in the previous towns we visited, but one of the cats did have half of his ear gone. They take donations for pet food, so we gave him some money.

It must be noted that much of the island business is owned by Chinese folks. All of the convenience type stores and many of the restaurants have names of “Quan” or “Chen.” The non-Chinese locals will tell you that these people work harder than anyone and have made great success on the caye. Clay’s penchant for ice has caused us to visit several of these stores. He says he is going to enjoy ice as long as he can! From our reading, it would seem that Morocco is not ice friendly.

Ann needed to retire early and we ordered dinner to go from a restaurant. However, a knock on the door at about 6 pm was odd but Clay answered and it was our friends from Italy! They had gone on the snorkeling tour that we rescheduled and were concerned about Ann because we had told the snorkeling tour that she was sick and we were waiting a day (our business did not stay a secret, apparently!). It was extremely nice of them to come and check on her, they even brought her some medicine!! The true and caring nature of these people shone through in just the short time that we have known them. We are to meet them for sunset tomorrow evening for a glass of vino.

We are looking forward to snorkeling tomorrow with Ragamuffin tours (good reviews on Trip Adviser).


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb