Island living...


Advertisement
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Caye Caulker (pronounced Key Caulker) is a REALLY laid back small island off the coast of Belize...the motto is 'Go Slow' and the only type of transport on the island is golf cart. There are serious Caribbean vibes here man! The major attraction is the barrier reef which protects the island and is about a mile from the shore. We did a couple of snorkelling trips here in the first few days and saw some really amazing stuff. Along with all the beautiful tropical fish, we snorkelled with huge stingrays (up to a metre across), huge spotted eagle rays, turtles, barracuda, nurse sharks (up to 2 metres long-very scary getting into the water with those!) and probably the most amazing were manatees (which are big seal-like mammals).

The food was pretty good on the lsland too...we got very used to a good lobster dinner every night at Rose's grill...the menu is just whatever fresh fish they have next to the grill (Lobster kebab+rice+garlic spuds+free rum and coke = 5 euro, or a full lobster for about 8 euro - Bargain!). Ciara headed back home after a few days but we stayed on at Caye Caulker and did our PADI scuba diving qualification which took four days to do. We decided you probably couldn't do it in a better location after all the amazing stuff we saw on the reef. It was a great experience, we made a few good friends and did some savage dives! Anyhows, we had a great time on the island and while we were there it was Belize's Independence day so there was a weekend of big celebrations and mighty craic!!

Chat to you all soon! x


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



30th October 2008

great info
great shots... I am headed to Caye Caulker soon and am looking forward to a little snorkeling. Great photos and sounds like you all had a great time!

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb