Mexico to Belize


Advertisement
Published: September 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived into Cancun, Mexico a week ago. With our trusty Lonely Planet in hand we were confident we knew where we were going as we walked out of the airport. It wasn't until we walked back into the airport and outside a couple more times we realised maybe our LP was mistaken. Already sweating buckets, a tad lost and our backpacks getting heavier by the minute- the start of a wonderful experience? Fast forward an hour or two and we were settled into the Poc Na hostel on Isla Mujures, a small island off the coast of Cancun, drinking a Sol beer and staring out at the Carribean Ocean. The hostel is great- just steps from the beach, friendly staff and excellant food. This perfect picture moment wouldnt be complete with out a classic Ryan tale- Not moments after finally getting to the hostel, Ryan locks all of our belongings into the locker . . . . Then he forgets the code! He was the first person to ever have to use the hostels bolt cutter! Oh Ry . . .
The next few days we relaxed at the beach, got sun burnt, and healed ourselves with Coronas. There was a promanade beside the hostel and along the seaside. It was incredibly windy due to Hurricane Gustov but other than that, the hurricane had no impact.

We made our way to Tulum, a town famous for the ruins situated high on a cliff above the clear blue sea. We got an awesome beach hut- not even a minutes walk over the white sand and between palm trees to one of the nicest beaches we've seen. Pictures can't do it justice.

We left Mexico, not without another classic Meg and Ryan twist though. When we got to the Mexican border we were asked for our exit papers . . . the same papers Meg threw out a few nights previous in an attempt to lighten her bag! Really, how heavy are a couple papers but I swear I didnt know we needed them. We each had to pay an extra $13.00. Oh well. We make our way to the Belize immigration line up. Stand in line, realise its the wrong line so Ryan attempts to simply step over the roped off line dividers into the correct line. The poles come crashing down and clings and clangs echo through the immigration hall as everyone turns to see what the commotion is. Nice, welcome to Belize : )

We have now made our way to Caye Caulker, Belize. We had planned on staying a few nights in other areas in Belize but once we got there decided not to. So far, although the Belize people are extremely friendly and helpful, the country is leaves something to be desired.

Caye Caulker itself is nice. Sounding like Im simply repeating my self but we are staying at a cute hostel on the beach. Last night we went for dinner and a couple Belkins and were entertained by a crab fighting with a dog! Really quite amusing- as the dog would go to smell the lobster he would get clawed and jump back. This continued until finally the dog gave up. 1 point for the crab.
Tonight we are heading out for a lobster dinner and tomorrow a snorkel trip. Hope everyone is doing well and we will update again soon
Meg and Ryan

Advertisement



4th September 2008

Im happy you guys are having a good time so far! I laughed a couple times with this 1st entry... as of right now, I'm at work and Leyla is havin a hard time understanding 'Bob'.. what else is new? i hate this place. BUT LOOKING FORWARD TO READING MORE! miss you :( (haha get your Tubz soda!)

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb