Caye Caulker


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey girls, thanks for all the updates on KK keep them coming!!! Bobs I assure you that everything posted on here is the entire truth and I will not be publishing any further comments you make to the contrary. You have been warned! However, you are correct in your diagnosis of Pol´s Evian withdrawals; some very strange side effects! By the way did Sharon have her baby yet?

Dad; did you get a pychologist for Sam yet??

CS; apologies for publishing the picture of you assaulting my father but in fairness if he wasn´t singing Purple & Gold as you requested then he probably deserved it!

Ok so to continue, after 5 hours on a mini bus and a border crossing in to Belize we arrived at the marine terminal and got a water taxi (approx 1 hour) to Caye Caulker! This is a fabulous island, with crystal clear waters, no cars and located by the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world. There are only about 1500 people living here permanently and the village is only about half a mile long! The locals all speak English but with a unique Creole twist! The Spanish phrase book got a well deserved rest!!

CC is a beautiful place but much more expensive than Guatemala. The taxis on the island are golf carts and they are the only foprm of transport on the island! Lobster is very cheap here, I didn´t obviously try it myself but apparently it´s very good!

We stayed in a place called Morning Star with a Canadian/Belizan couple. Ok rooms with sea view and about a 1 min walk to the beach! We stayed here for 3 nights and on the 2 day we went on a half day snorkelling trip which was amazing! Our first stop was at shark ray alley which had crystal clear water. The water was shallow enough to stand up in and when the boat stopped, true its name, it was completely surrounded by about 25 sting rays; some of them were huge! I was afraid to even get into the water first as I thought I was going to stand on one and be killed instantly! Anyway after a little persuasion I joined Pol and the other 2 guys on the trip. It was unbelievable they were swimming all around us. The tour guy held one up and we were able to touch it!

At the second stop we sawe loads of different fish and coral and a turtle. And at the third we saw a shark and managed to swim in the water with it for a few minutes before it swam off!

We went for drinks in the Reggae bar that night to watch the sunset, great place with the third floor built on stilts and lots of hammocks and platforms to watch the sunset! Sampled a few of the local cocktails. Pol thought he had found a new favourite; "Monkey Loco" ( a weird mix of baileys, banana and chocolate), but I think after having 3, his enthusiasm started to wane!!

The next morning we caught the 6am water taxi back to Belize City. We definitely could have stayed here longer but you know what its like, places to go, people to see!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb