Caye Caulker


Advertisement
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

July 26
Left campsite bugs and sandflies and garbage at 7:15 …was absolved of breakfast duty.. Got a ride with a young man that worked at the restaurant and was on his way to days off… paid him 10$ …by mistake 10 US…. Made his day!

Water taxi to Caye Caulker… ¾ hr on the water…where are the life jackets? $15 one way…. Registered at Popeye’s…it’s a bird that lives on the premises…by the water…not much beach…bar across the sandy street…only golf buggies for transportation …. bicycles, and boats for the common crowd … trucks for Coca Cola, Police and heavy work. The golf carts have license plates.

Rented a bike for 20$ …rode all over the Caye including on the airstrip….. the tide was out.. Water was a true marine blue but water weeds had to be overcome … did not appeal…. Only dangled my feet in the warmth and tried to give my heels a scrub with a piece of coral.

After breakfast the and lounged in a hammock on the veranda facing the street and the lagoon … the waves are breaking on the reef in a white line across the horizon…perfect watercolour subject.

Siesta disturbed by the arrival of five others from the truck… they all eventually arrived by the end of the day
Walked out on wooden the warfs…rode the bike all over… went to Coco Palm Spa for info about breakfast and massage…washed clothes…SHAVED LEGS…had three showers…. Ate dinner with Min and two marguaritas … went to bed atop my new sarong bought for 20$

July 27
A monumental day …WENT SNORKLING …was in my own Jaques Cousteau Movie…. It was absolutely wonderful…am very glad the girl at the ticket counter told me about the life jackets. Snorkled without the fins…was not straying far from the boat. By the third time into the water was much more comfortable and did let the water carry me over the coral beds and stayed with my mask under the water for extended periods of time. Barracuda, sting ray, tropical fish galore, all kinds of coral… my only regret is that I got a sunburn … the massage guy put some special lotion on my back to ease the burn… and then he gave me a fantastic deep muscle massage… by seven I was ready to return to my digs and find food. Found Min at the Sandbox as before and we ate together again. Spoke with Merrick and Tony and then made my way back to my bed.

July 28
Third day on Caye Caulker. Apologized to girl at booking counter for not getting there in time for tubing excursion… heard most of it in the dark so decided not to go.
Ate breakfast and found that the place serves Indian food… walked to the spit… talked to some little kids and a lady willing to braid hair.
Came back to sit quietly and work on computer. Enjoyed the joy of sitting doing nothing except watch the world walk by.

More relaxation and laundry that dried quickly in the ocean breezes. Wandered about took pictures and spent time with the comfortable people from the truck.

July 29

Return by water taxi to Belize City. Drove thru a city that was not at all pretty. No ned to spend any time there. Once back at the truck spoke to those who had dived the Blue Hole…Gary and Chad and English Paul. Had time to sit in the restaurant at Cucumber Beach… good food, nice beach for $5 entry fee … and when all had returned we were of again hurtling down the road towards Tulum. Looking forward to where Carolyn has a house.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb