Belize - Awesome Diving & Unspoilt Beaches


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Frpm Guatemala, I made my way to the warm waters of the carribean. I took a bus into belize and a connecting boat to Ambergris/Caulker Cayes. Ambergris is the island used in FOX's "Temptation Island" show. It is a bit too touristy and commercial for me. I spent most my time in Caye Caulker. A small, very laid back island with fewer tourists and no traffic. Water is 75F and ideal for swimming. I spent one day diving around the Holchan Marine park. Saw several nurse sharks, sting rays, and plenty of tropical fish.

But, the highlight of the belize was the a fastastic day of scuba diving at the Lighthouse reef, famous for the BLUE HOLE. It was made famous by Jacques Crousteau in late 70s when he dived here and said it was the most unique,spectacular dive he has ever done! The blue hole used be a set of caves with stalactites above ground during the ice age and is now submerged under water. It is a very deep dive, not recommended for regular divers. (135 ft). It is like a deep well dug in the middle of a shallow reef. At 135 ft, I was feeling a little woozy and happy due to nitrogen narcosis and all around i saw spectacular stalactites jutting out of the walls, It was a surreal experience. Out of the deep blue, a few bull sharks, black tipped sharks appeared and came within 10 metres. There was barracuda around too. It was scary and fun at the same time. The next two dives were spectacular wall dives in half moon and long cayes. Plenty of tropical fish including groupers, snappers, crabs, lobsters, turtles, eagle ray, sting ray, coral sharks, moray eels etc. etc... It is a huge acquarium down there. The visibility and marine life is very comparable to diving in the great barrier reef .


I spent another day fishing. It is a great place to learn fishing and enjoy it . Caught 7 snappers (red, yellow tailed, silver) in 4 hours and was lot of fun. Fishing in a boat off the shore in clear turquoise waters and watching a colorful sunset is difficult to beat. We got our fish cooked at a local restuarant and enjoyed our fish with local spicy sauce and rice & beans !!

Now, i'm back in cold new york and looking forward to working long hours ;-)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 17; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb