You better Belize it!!


Advertisement
Published: November 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Crossing the border into BelizeCrossing the border into BelizeCrossing the border into Belize

Not looking too much like paradise yet...
San Ignacio and Caye Caulker
We left Guatemala early - at half past seven - and as a pleasant surprise the bus driver was grumpy for a reason we still don't know, but it didn't make our drive pleasant at all..... However we enjoyed our last views of Guatemala and crossed the border where the first real Belizean people that told us that we probably never wanted to leave Belize again, as it was just like paradise...😊

In San Ignacio we noticed the obvious differences with Guatemala (colonial houses instead of the Maya huts) and the rasta people that obviously took life easy. Chilling in the park with their buddies, leaning back and just..taking it all in...what a life 😊
Flora was ready to buy another pair of flip flops because hers broke yet again and Krista managed to break a 3rd pair..... unfortunately the prices in Belize were high compared to the prices in Guatemala but what is a backpacker to do without flip flops?!!

Happy with our new flip flops we needed to cool off and went in search of a swimming poolto enjoy the sun. There was one in town which happened to be at the "posh hotel" up the hill. We were the only guests outside, it soon became obvious why. Shortly after our arrival at the pool the workers arrived to paint the walls, repair the roof and coat the tiles with laquer, a lovely noisy and smelly experience, but the sun was great nonetheless, and having a dip was a great change from feeling sweaty.

The next day we left to Belize city to catch the boat to Caye Caulker, a bounty island where the people are even more relaxed (!!) and signs told us to "slow down" (or just doing nothing basically). So we followed their recommendations and "slowed down". This meant that we didn't do much except for enjoy the sun, watch the people and taste the local food (we were regulars at the BBQ lobster stand, Jolly Roger knows how to cook a DELICIOUS lobster tail with mashed potatoes and garlic bread)

This true rasta island amazed us with its many crazy (but still friendly) people. For example we met Yako (sp?) who lived up in a little hut on the beach (although it looks more like a parasol) for 6 years and Larry from Florida (a fellow traveller) who loved to party and chat about life, and talk about his love for diving and snorkeling in Belize. He also debated for a long time whether he would have that beer at 11am with a huge hangover...he did in the end, saying "Hair of the Dog!!". He liked his beers.
Other "legends"; the "Lyrical king" (a local celebrity) who sang about Belizean life (birds- actual birds, and the female kind), Popeye, another local who was very proud of his art (displayed outside the supermarket) ie. small colourful signs that said "shit grows in texas", "you are welcome but mind your own busness" (spelling mistake intended) and the rasta men that were just funny to watch and listen to (trying to flirt with us).

After doing a small price comparison we decided to go snorkeling with Raggamuffin (sailing) tours who provided rum punch (this was a definite incentive) and three snorkeling stops. We saw loads of fishes, beautiful coral reefs and sharks and sting rays (yes, the kind that Steve Irwin met just weeks before). This was truly one of our most special tours so far and although the sharks got very close and we thought we were about to have a nervous breakdown it all turned out to be fine and we had an unforgettable day!
Because we could not really get enough of this beautiful island we decided to stay another day.... and moved on the next day to Mexico again.
You better Belize it, see the pictures and slow down, ya man!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



18th November 2006

envy
Hola lindas! I really am jealous! i just had my first week at the Belastingdienst, so no such things a pretty sites to be seen. The people however are really nice and the work must be fun too. See you very soon. miss you! xfr

Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0871s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb