Caribbean Cruise Ends


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas
January 15th 2012
Published: January 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our next island visit is the British Virgin Island nation of Tortola. We decided to remain on dry land for this visit as we’ve snorkeled enough and while Mary went on a “Coast to Coast Scenic Drive” I sampled the historic aspects of this island nation. She traveled in an open air “jitney” through the metro area of Road Town along Tortola’s picturesque southern shoreline, a resort and Blackbeard’s hideout in Frenchman’s Bay. I toured, in a similar jitney, the former Governor’s House Museum, a Sugar Mill Museum and a Maritime educational center.We both ended up along Ridge Road, running the mountain spine of this quaint island, and seeing a cement retaining wall upon which local artists have painted scenes of native life. When the slaves were emancipated in 1834 they were given land by their former owners and it’s this land that now occupies the scenic slopes, having been passed down over the centuries.

Our next visit was to Cayo Levantado, Dominican Republic where we visited caves and amazing mangrove swamps as part of the Los Haitises National Park. When the island leadership saw the devastation Haitians (the other half of Hispanola) had wrought to their forests they extracted the natives working the banana plantations and have preserved this series of small island bird sanctuaries. Our speed boat return to the ship was against the wind and waves – a Disney ride for sure.

Getting underway we proceed to Stirrup Cay, Behamas where the planned beach BBQ is thwarted by high seas and rip tides. So we get underway for Ft Lauderdale and play indoor games and have a pool deck BBQ with great music from the ship’s band. It also gives us a chance to say goodbye to new friends and pack our bags for the trip home tomorrow. We’ve visited seven ports, delivered school supplies, enjoyed more food and drink than we should have and relaxed. Last night we dined with the Captain and tonight we have a final visit to the premier Prime 7 Restaurant. The weather has generally been good with plenty of sun. As usual the Regent crew was amazing, attentive and consumate assisters. We look forward to our next cruise with them.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb