Detour


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas
December 25th 2005
Published: December 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Nautilus CrewThe Nautilus CrewThe Nautilus Crew

Me, Mau, Franzi, Treva and Arild
I've discovered that the hardest part of sailing is actually getting off the dock. The captain had started several ambitious projects and was in no way able to complete them. We had planned to go south, and the winds looked good. But, a few more delays, a few more days, and the winds change. Fed up with waiting, we just came here to Grand Bahama Island!
The crossing was rough once we left the harbor. We were greeted with strong waves and winds, strong enough to nearly knock off the wind generator at the stern of the 43ft boat. (Nautilus is her name.) Once we resolved that problem, we raised the sails and settled into a course of 78 degrees. A large family of dolphins greeted us soon after, diving under the keel and surfaceing playfully at either side. Looking back, the sun set behind the zipper tooth buildings of the South Florida coastline. The sense of relief at our departure was overwhelming.
I went to bed at 18:30 and woke at 23:00 to tend the helm. The autopilot did most of the work. I sat back and monitored the passing boats, the change in wind direction and any other potential hazard. The clouds passed and revealed that familiar canopy of stars that I had not seen in so long. There is actually a bow in front of Orion!
Went back to bed at 3:30am after recharging the battery with the engine, and slept lightly until it was time to dock at 6:30am. We docked successfully and returned to bed to catch up on sleep.
I write this now from a hotel internet booth, free of charge. Not the most inspiring place to write. We'll leave later on today for the Abacos. Beyond that, there's no telling! The winds and waves will determine that.
More to come.

Advertisement



29th December 2005

Just got back
My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon sail in the Abacos, Have fun!

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb