Visiting the Island School OR Playing Postman for an amazing research community!


Advertisement
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I had the most amazing week. First and foremost, I used my passport for the first time ever! Pretty spectacular. I had a job interview at the the Island School for the whole week of April 13th to April 19th and it was a very positive experience and I am pretty sure there is no other secondary education institute quite like it (if anyone thinks that there is please let me know). The Location and G... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

PigletsPiglets
Piglets

The new litter of pigs at the Island School.
Strange Looking Pig!Strange Looking Pig!
Strange Looking Pig!

I don't know how that pig go out of the gate or why he is wearing a blue shirt!
The Ocean.The Ocean.
The Ocean.

Very Very Very Clear!
Bonefish NurseryBonefish Nursery
Bonefish Nursery

Baby Bonefish, hanging tough!
Wet LabWet Lab
Wet Lab

The tanks are filled with solar powered pumps and then when they drain, they drain back into the mangrove swamp and then make their way back to the ocean!
TalapiaTalapia
Talapia

There are some Talapia swimming in nasty nitrogen rich water! They like it! and it feeds the plants!
Romaine Lettuce Filtering Out Talapia Water!Romaine Lettuce Filtering Out Talapia Water!
Romaine Lettuce Filtering Out Talapia Water!

We ate this stuff every night it rocked!
BasilBasil
Basil

Lots of Pesto is enjoyed at the Island School, Lots of Pesto!
Shark CShark C
Shark C

Of the shark study.
CobiaCobia
Cobia

Big Saltwater fish, for Aquaculture!
CobiaCobia
Cobia

They are really big and really young.
Strange StatisticStrange Statistic
Strange Statistic

If you read this sign very carefully it says 40,000 gallons per urinal per year! I don't know if I buy this, this is a little over 100 flushes a day. Does anyone know a urinal that gets flushed that much?
BonefishBonefish
Bonefish

In the mangrove swamp!
JellyfishJellyfish
Jellyfish

In the mangrove swamp, there was also some crabs in there I never got a good picture of!
Pink Flamingo in the Mangrove Swamp!Pink Flamingo in the Mangrove Swamp!
Pink Flamingo in the Mangrove Swamp!

It's plastic, but it's there!



28th April 2008

which continent now?
Unless you were in Jolpa, Rajasthan India, I think you want 24.835 Latitude and -76.325 Longitude
28th April 2008

Thanks for the correction Emile! I guess that is where I'm going to have to go next!
29th April 2008

Exciting!
I can tell this was a great trip by the number of exclamation marks used. 43 on the first page, captions included. Seriously though, this sounds like an amazing place. Being a hippy, the aquaculture and self-sustainability aspects interest me most, but the whole thing sounds like a great model for a school. If you end up spending more time there, I'll gladly bring your mail home. No, Emile. That was not an innuendo.
30th April 2008

nice post
These are the details I was interested in, sounds like quite the adventure.
30th April 2008

Circadian Rhythms in fruit flies
You are just spreading that knowledge all around. Before you leave you will have to fill me in about these fruit flies. I can accept the fact that these Bahamians know quite a bit more than I do about any number of things, but if I have the opportunity educate myself (or rather, have you educate me) then I better take advantage of it while it lasts. It would be nice to say that I learned about circadian rhythms in fruit flies from an international educator. Sweet! ((By the way, I have to say that I absolutely cringe everytime someone writes or says "a dice" rather than "a die". It's the english minor in me!))

Tot: 0.595s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 16; qc: 95; dbt: 0.4542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb