Paddiling Down the Big Hole


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This last weekend a couple of friends and myself went on a nice 30 mile paddle down the Big Hole river in western Montana, just south of Butte. We put in at Brown's Bridge and just rode down the wide bloated Big Hole to the High Road fishing access by Twin Bridges. The weather was beautiful, which was a good change from the weather in Bozeman which seems to have trapped small pockets of winter every week or so that come and dump down onto the Gallatin Valley. If you are into birds, this place is amazing. We saw at least a dozen hawks, a flock of pelicans, a gazillion ducks, and geese, and two herds of deer, gallavanting around the river! It was nice to go out canoing with Brett as we are both planning on paddling the Northern Forest Canoe Trail this summer! We ran some small class I and class II rapids, but definitely had to portage a very intense class III. I got a chance to practice standing in a canoe and found a large stick to practice poling. Because the river was so full we were making amazing speed and decided to pull out and make camp somewhere around mile 20. The night was nice and we tried to cook with this Sterno stove i got for christmas, unfortunately, the Sterno stove doesn't heat things past 205, which means we couldn't boil water. So instead we "warmed" our spaghetti and sauce and did some cooking over the fire. Not to bad, but good to know that Sterno won't boil water. Looks like we'll be getting a nice white gas "whisperlite" stove for this summer! The weather turned cold that night and before I crawled into bed, I grabbed a stone from the fire, wrapped it in my jacket and took it into my sleeping bag with me! It was a great idea as the next morning we woke to a frost on the ground! The next day was some nice navigation of downed trees and quick water and made for a sweet paddle back to the jeep! It was a nice trip and it was great to get one last nice view of the high plains/desert and the snow covered alpine mountains before I head back east!

Oh I almost forgot to mention, on our way to Browne's Bridge we saw a sign in the middle of nowhere that announced "Rocket Launch Today!". Slightly confused we continued down the road until we saw a bunch of cars pulled off to the side of the road and sure enough it was the Big Sky Rocketry Association holding a spring launch! We stayed around to watch the initial launch, but knew that we had to get going to the put in if we wanted to get back at a descent time the following day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

FireFire
Fire

The round rock in the front was brought into my sleeping bag to keep me warm!
Bozeman SpringBozeman Spring
Bozeman Spring

There was no snow the night before and this is what I woke up to.
Brett Checking Out Sparrows NestsBrett Checking Out Sparrows Nests
Brett Checking Out Sparrows Nests

A huge cut that the Big Hole made and is now used by Sparrows, me thinks.
Thor and BillThor and Bill
Thor and Bill

The Alaskan Boys, by the mountains.
Dead DeerDead Deer
Dead Deer

Nothing but bones.
More Bozeman SpringMore Bozeman Spring
More Bozeman Spring

Someone didn't inform the mountains it was spring time!


2nd May 2008

Bird lovers
I know you're a mathematician, but deer do not equal birds. Sounds like an awesome trip though. Good thought on the stone, bummer on the sterno. Good thing to find out when on a single overnight though. No shots of the rocket actually launching?
2nd May 2008

No dice, no good ones...I'm gonna see if some other people might have got some good shots and if so, I'll add them! I guess that sentence did sound kind of weird, huh?
9th May 2008

the zombies
I was right. The Zombies sang "Time of the Season" as well as "Tell Her No" and "She's Not There". Have a wonderful trip and keep in touch!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb