One Week In Nassau


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas » Nassau » Bahamas
October 19th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

In August of 2008, we spent one week in Nassau. The hotel that we stayed at was the Wyndham Crystal Palace Hotel and Casino, which is right next door to the Sheraton in the Cable Beach area of Nassau. The resort was just fine, except for the very small and shallow water beach. The swimming pool was large and came equipped with an attended water-slide. There is a large casino on property with a couple of bars in the casino. They use the US dollar often in the Bahamas or the Bahamian dollar, it really doesn't matter at all because they are 1/1. There is no benefit on exchanging money from US to Bahamian dollars. We ate a couple of times at the buffett in the hotel which is kind of on the pricy side, but still very good. There is more food available; trying to sample everything would be very difficult. There is a snack bar and steakhouse on the second floor of the resort. The room was quite clean and kept up very well on a daily basis by the housekeeping staff.
We all know that tourists drink when they go to the Caribbean; The Bahamas is no different. The alcoholic beverages at this resort are priced out of this world. It is very very expensive to drink at this hotel. For just two island foo foo drinks, with a cheap souvenir plastic cup we just under $20!!!!! I thought this was outrageous, and beers are also expensive, so we didn't drink all that often at the resort. Although, there is a liquor store in the resort on the ground floor and they also sell styrofoam coolers for $6. Lots of people, I noticed, were buying there beer, etc in the liquor store and taking it with them in the cooler to either the pool or beach area. Much more cost effective.
We went to downtown Nassau a couple times and it is really fun there. The downtown part of Nassau we both found very clean, and non-threatening. We had lunch on our last day at a restaurant called Conch Fritters, which is directly across the street from the Hilton Hotel in Nassau. The foold and service was great, but it was also expensive. We paid $43 for lunch, and we had a sandwich each, one appetizer between the two of us, and one soda. On the
NassuaNassuaNassua

very pretty little city
upside, in Nassau they always include gratuity in the check; therefore, you don't have to think about tipping. There are also lesser expensive places to dine at in Nassua, we noticed a McDonald's, Burger King, and a Sbarro's pizza. We partyed our last night at the Hard Rock Cafe' and lounge and Senor Frogs. We had a great time. The cost of drinks at those two places will add up quickly let me tell ya' all. WoW!!!!!!! Close to $200 for entertainment for that final evening.
Nassau is a great place, and we would recommend it to anyone for a tourist destination; however, it is a little steep in the way of prices.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

NassuaNassua
Nassua

I told you it's a pretty town
Pool GuyPool Guy
Pool Guy

nice guy at resort


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb