Harbinger reaches the tropic of cancer


Advertisement
Published: April 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, sorry for the long delay in posting this page, but there really wasn't anywhere with sufficient band width to download the images.
Anyway it took us 32 days to sail from Nassau to George Town in the southern Exumas and what a wonderful time we have had. We have seen storms, 3 inches of rain in half an hour! Lots of sunshine and quite a lot of wind. There are 365 islands in the Exuma chain and we have visited about 25. Of those Cays we visited only 3 have proper settlements of a hundred or more. They are Black Point, Little Farmers Cay and George Town, which is where we are now.
Since leaving Fort Myers in Florida back in January I have sailed 534 Nm, crossed the gulf stream and navigated the shallowest seas I've ever come across. At times my keel has been scimming the sea bed and we have run aground once.
Along the way we have met some lovely people and travelled in company with Jason, Molly and Porter aboard Southern Star since Nassau. Phil, aboard Fundy Passage also acompanied us for a while, although he has now started on his journey north back to Nova Scotia. Many thanks for the wonderful company and hospitality, I will miss you all very much. Jason, Molly and Porter now feel like family and I very hope that we will meet again, soon.
There are not enough adjectives to describe the beauty of the islands and so I will let the pictures do that for me. I hope you enjoy the pictures.
I'm about to return to the UK for a couple of weeks but will come back to George Town on the 18th May to take up the sailing and head north before the hurrican season starts in June.
Take care a bye for now.

the crew of Harbinger.
Bob, Jeremy and Carla.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb