Eblow Cay


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas » Abaco
January 8th 2008
Published: January 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

When the cold front finally lifted we finally threw the lines and headed out of Marsh Harbor and headed for Elbow Cay. Elbow Cay is home to Hope Town and Tahiti beach where we have been before and my family and I have spent vacation. Matt and I tied up at Seaspray Marina and rented a golf cart and headed for town. It takes a few close calls before you get comfortable driving on the wrong side of the road. We made it safely to Hope Town and parked in the local parking lot by the public dock and walked through town. As we were walking by the baseball/soccer fields we ran into an old buddy, David Campbell. I knew David when he was in middle school and now he has grown up and is trying to finish school at UNC and it made me feel pretty old.
Garrett, one of David's buddies, lived in Hope Town for a year and offered to show us around. So we invited them to the boat and the next day we took off for Little Harbor and had lunch at Pete's Pub. Pete's Pub is nestled in a beautiful "Little Harbor", it is so little there at colored milk jugs lining the entry and only one boat can go through at a time. We found a moring and headed in the dingy to grab a bite to eat.
Pete's Pub is the life of Little Harbor and there was no lack of life here. The bar was full of locals and tourists alike and the beach had a few soccer players and sunbathers as well. I had a wonderful grouper sandwhich that was probably caught the day before and we enjoyed some time with our new UNC friends. After lunch we headed out of LIttle Harbor for Pelican Cay. There is a great snorkeling spot between Pelican and Lynard Cay but the ocean was stirred up and washing over to make it not to good for an afternoon swim. So we anchored in the lee of the island and dingied/swam to the deserted island. The little beach was beautiful and we shared it with only one family from Canada. There is a foundation of a house on the highest point with awesome views of the ocean and the Sea of Abaco. The story goes that a man and his wife built the house and she killed him for the insurance money and so the house was left for ruins. What a view to give up but I guess she got what she needed.
They couldn't stop thanking us for taking them out but we were the lucky ones. We have been spending the last week or so with couples in their 50's and 60's and some 70's. Most of them are as young as we are at heart and it has been a blast getting to know them and listening to their stories and getting advice. But, it was a pleasure hanging out with kids our age and able to have some fun.
We are headed to the Exumas next and they are sure to provide some great oppurunities for wonderful pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb