Aruba May 2019


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Last night we went to Zee Rover's for fresh Red Snapper, plaintains, french fries, and Balashi.

Megan, the super snorkeler, does NOT like red snapper!!!

We had a chance to catch up with Michel and Linda, who retired in December from working there.

Unfortunately she says the fishing industry is hurting, and many of the men have had to stop fishing - too much competition with Venezuela. And when Zee Rover serves frozen fish they get a bad reputation, and when they run out, the same. It was not as crowded as usual, although we were, admittedly, there early, like at 5:30.

We drove past Mangel Halto and the winds were down and the surf perfect - maybe we will go there soon.



As you can see from the photos, our sortee into the "big water" this morning for turtles was well rewarded. Kicked 110 kicks till our first one. Saw about 12-15 - hard to keep track of repeats. They are everywhere!!!

Saw a chained eel and moray. No octopuses this time but yes, a band-tailed sea robin, or flying gurnard - we aren't sure which it is, but it is what is amazing when it opens its wings and races along the sand. Saw a porcupine fish hiding under the rocks, and dozens of starfish of all colors.

We had trouble with the blog site from before, so am posting in this one we have used before. Sadly, we don't know how to upload videos, of which we have MANY marvelous ones.

Today we go to visit Francis for dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.572s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb