Fish Part 2


Advertisement
Published: March 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Grandma was eaten by a shark
Dad, by a killer whale
And my baby brother got slurped up
By a rather hungry sea snail

Andrea Shavick

So you think you know your sharks: scary, horrible, teeth producing machines, all set to attack! Well according to National Geographic, more humans get bitten by people from New York each year than by sharks. So it’s time to learn a bit more about these amazing creatures and realise that sharks tend to leave us alone, as long as we leave them alone.

Don’t get me wrong, sharks are efficient hunting machines, but they would much rather chomp down a tasty fish or crab than chase after you or me. So how do they hunt, well they have an amazing array of fine-tuned senses at their “fin-tips”. They can sense tiny vibrations and electrical fields produced by the movement of their next meal, and then they also have the more familiar senses of smell and sight.

It isn’t just the way they hunt that makes sharks that little bit special; their bodies are very dense (a bit like being heavy) which means if they stop swimming, they will sink. Can you imagine whenever you stopped walking, sinking to the ground. Well that is exactly what happens with sharks, they need to swim, swim, swim continuously, always patrolling the deep ocean waters. To help them stay up in the water, they also have a slightly funny shaped tail, instead of being symmetrical like most fish, their tails are longer on the top fork, than along the bottom fork. This helps give them lift, like the tail fin of an airplane. The result, a swimming, gliding, hunting machine!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



15th March 2008

Anxious
I am not sure I like the sound of your poem!
17th March 2008

funny fact
Funny fact- more people die from falling coconuts each year than from shark bites (and probably more than NY bites too). So watch out for those massive nuts, and don't worry about the sharks! ;) Eva

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb