Beaching in Anguilla


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Anguilla is beachy and Barbuda-esque. It is low and flat. It also has some of the most complex cruising permit rules (as we had been led to expect from Kazaio). Despite this we had a fabulous sail into Road Bay, dropping anchor in yet more clear water and heading ashore the following morning to clear in. The Blues were already in the bay and had done the recce and toured much of the island – having had the good fortune to not have to go anywhere near St Maarten (as they are shipping Open Blue back rather than sail her home).

We decided to project ourselves around the island by hire car to experience some of the beaches. Mad Fish and Rafiki were going to do so by boat and kindly agreed to take Cameron with them for the day. Beaches being the Admiral’s speciality we made a bee-line for two winning beaches called Rendez-Vous Bay and Shoal Bay East, after some shaky car navigation, and a nice restaurant for a quiet bite to eat. The waves were pounding on the beach and the Blue girls confidence riding high we frolicked in the sea, stole loungers and enjoyed a chilled out day “sur la plage” – wonderful after the bilge explorations, provisioning and skanky water of the St Maarten lagoon.

It was only ever going to be a short stop before heading to the British Virgin Islands but we were not so keen to do an overnight passage as the Blues who left at 8pm to sail the 100 miles to the BVIs thinking that we could nail it in daylight hours if we put our minds to it and the multi-coloured (and frightening) sails up!

The Mad Fish and the Fabiolas therefore awoke at 0400 and made best speed west to the BVIs. As soon as the last trace of darkness disappeared we hoisted the spinnaker (for the first time since the ARC) and flew along at 8 to 11 knots. Meanwhile Mad Fish experienced a finger-chomping self-tailing winch and poor Emma lost nearly the tip of her finger and the Mad Fish kite was shredded in the process. It was a great and stress-less sail which ended with us rounding into Virgin Gorda, past the renowned Virgin Gorda Baths and into Spanish Town to check in. 100 miles in less than 12 hours – done!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Flying along under kite!Flying along under kite!
Flying along under kite!

Amazingly it went up and, even more surprisingly, came down without any bad words!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb