Good morning Viet Nam


Advertisement
Asia
November 2nd 2006
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Phnom Penh (capital of Cambodia)...a bustling city..we did find the array of bugs on sale, including spiders - they were not particularly appealing!

We visited the Killing Fields (one of), they appeared pretty peaceful and tranquil. The clothes and bones protuding from the ground were very disturbing though. In all, 17000 people were brutally murdered here. 8000 skulls, many with grotesque gashes, are housed in the monument. Ruth has just finished a book 'First they killed my Father', which she said really brought home the killing on a personal level. A quarter of the Cambodian population were murdered in 4yrs.

We then took the slow boat to Saigon via the Mekong Delta. It was amazing how much of the adjoining fields were flooded as far as the eye could see. Apparently it stays like this for 3 months.. It was therefore not much of a surprise that there was a prevailing smell of fish wherever we went..it being their staple diet over this season. There were plenty of fish farms and floating markets.

We then hit Saigon (as it is surprisingly still called by many) or Ho Chi Min City. We were pleasantly surprised, as many people had said it was very busy..crowded, etc etc, but after Bangkok we both found its tree lined streets, cafe's, and friendly people easier to digest. Maybe we are just getting the hang of things.

Viet Nam (2 words..) is a lot more developed than Cambodia, but still 3rd world. So it is that we find ourselves in Mui Ne Beach for a little R & R. The sea is warm, cocktails cold and the people very friendly. Last night we dropped off our laundry at a local establishment. Whilst Ruth was having it weighed, i was invited to join a few guys at their house for a few toasts of rice wine and some freshly caught crab. Delicious!

Some other observations that may interest you..
- Ruth is now a vegeterian..yes you read it correctly. After the stories of dogs and cats and visiting a few of the local markets with their fresh meat stands (including skinned frogs) - their smells and flies - she had temporarily decided to forgo meat.

- Traffic is amazing. There are so many motorcycles and bicycles along with trucks etc. Nobody looks before pulling out. they simply go and hope for the
Mekong DeltaMekong DeltaMekong Delta

the floating markets
best. The hooter (horn) is a primary driving tool, warning those thinking about pulling out.. not to!
It is rarely surprising that there are not more accidents (we did see one). There are also very few traffic lights and those that are in place, apparently do not apply to motorbikes. Crossing the road is a test of your nerves.. stare the oncoming traffic in the eye and walk..no adventure sports needed here!

- People seem to believe that the roadside is prime real estate. The closer you can build to the highway the better, even the mansions. Highways leading into cities resemble US strips malls for many km's, selling everything imaginable.

- All bus journeys are quoted as taking 4hrs but in reality they are about 6hrs (for 200km!)...see traffic above for explaination

- I'd say the locals have a favourite saying.. 'SAME SAME.. BUT DIFFERENT' Ruth has bought the T Shirt.

- Tiger Oil (simular to tiger balm) acts as a good smelling salt to the constant stench of fish and also keeps the mozzies away according to the locals.

Thats all for now - hope this finds you all well and happy!
Love
Lunch at the cambodian/vietnam borderLunch at the cambodian/vietnam borderLunch at the cambodian/vietnam border

a little girl playing games
from us both



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

SaigonSaigon
Saigon

traffic cop lost in rush hour
Mui Ne BeachMui Ne Beach
Mui Ne Beach

the fishing village
The Sand dunes at Mui NeThe Sand dunes at Mui Ne
The Sand dunes at Mui Ne

slippery slopes..


2nd November 2006

You lucky pair
Hey there ! - You left England at the right time....it is freezing here now. Someone in the paper today predicted -14C at the end of this month and snow drifts. Great photos and update....glad to see you are getting to meet the locals. Don't suppose they have seen many Springboks in Viet name before. Tip - Think you may have a problem at Sydney customs if you buy too many of those snake heads aphrodisiacs! Have you introduced the locals to Uncle (Stroh) yet ? take it easy Mart
5th November 2006

Cambodia
Hi guys, Glad to hear you are having fun...pity about the meat Ruthless but i am sure a big t-bone awaits you in Aus!! Marshy, were you actually sliding down the sand dune or were you just stuck? Cheers G

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb