Shanghai Visit


Advertisement
Asia
March 21st 2013
Published: March 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Spectacular Shanghai “Paris of the East” by night was our arrival scenario. The cruise pier is in the heart of the city with The Bund, the old British Concession with its former bank buildings, facing the modern, neon lit skyscrapers across the river. We were between and treated to clear skies and magnificent views. This city was founded in 1291 and was colonized by the Europeans as a result of their victory in the Opium Wars with China. Our arrival night excursion took us to the 88thfloor of the Jin Mao Building in the Pudong Area and the expected spacial view of this major city populated by 23 million people. Our night time city tour gave a hint of traffic congestion to greet us the next day as cars, trucks, pedestrians and bicycles all battle for the same street space. Street markings and traffic lights appear only to be guides with drivers following the dictum of the first arrival gets the space, regardless of traffic flow. Our tour guide, with remarkable understanding of English, sandwiches building descriptions with historical and social explanations. We’re reminded that we’re in a socialistic state when certain political subjects are confined to the bus. China’s one child policy has created some interesting social phenomenon with parents “advertising” their children’s marriage availability by congregating in the People’s Park on Sunday with pictures and bios and children growing up to be treated as Little Princesses and Princes. Men outnumber women 117 to 100 and it’s said that a good husband has 5 C’s – A career, a certificate (i.e. graduation from college), cash, a car, and a condo. 10%!o(MISSING)f Chinese have a college education.

We visited a picturesque garden, constructed by a rich man for his parents in 1551 and containing various sections highlighting special rocks, buildings, ponds, trees and flowers. 16 years in the making the trees are now 400 years old with each item placement having special visual significance.

Other stops along the way were witnessing a tea ceremony with various samples, a Chinese (lazy susan) luncheon and an urban planning museum (past, present and future) with a large scale model of the city. Interestingly, the Japanese occupiers during WWII did not harm the Jews in Shanghai, although they were confined to a ghetto, because the Emperor received financial backing from a Jewish businessman during the Russo-Japanese War and the Emperor gave orders on their care. This earlier war ended with the Treaty of Portsmouth (in the USA) in 1905.

As we pass along the Chinese coast the air is cool and cloudy, the sea waves are very noticeable but smooth since it is a following sea with 25 knot winds. Our arrival in Hong Kong has been delayed by the port officials so our speed at sea is slowed giving us more time to order our (expensive) handmade clothing and enjoy the various social activities (games, tea time trivia, fitness exercises, special luncheon on the pool deck, educational lectures from NPR), etc.). Tomorrow it’s a “new” Chinese experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb