a sweet getaway from the city bustle - Nantou Taiwan


Advertisement
Asia
July 19th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Paper Dome is situated in Taomi Village, Puli Township, on the route to Sun Moon Lake. My first impression was that it is a scenic area, whether novice or expert, a photographer's paradise. One could easily bring back beautiful photos after spending short 1-2 hours here.

However, this was not all there is to the place. As I listened to the guide speak, I was moved by the talk about the story behind the inception of Paper Dome. Architect Shigeru Ban built a temporary church and refuge for the people after the Kobe earthquake in 1995. 10 years after its construction, its mission is accomplished and was about to be relocated when New Homeland Foundation President Liao was too touched by story, and brought forth the bold suggestion of relocating it to Taiwan.

The Paper Dome rejuvenated the once sleepy agricultural village Taomi Village, which was devestated after the Taiwan 921 earthquake. The villagers turned crisis into opportunity and transformed Taomi into an eco-village. The strength and resilience of the villagers brought new life to the village and Taomi is now the model for eco-tourism in Taiwan.

The story of Paper Dome inspired me and I grew to appreciate and love the flora and fauna this village adores. A village where 23 out of the 29 frog species in Taiwan can be found, Taomi Village is the place to slow down your pace and get to close to nature. With the aid of the friendly villagers, you will be able to discover many hidden treasures be pleasantly surprised at the nature's wonders.

Taomi has also been working hard to create a new identity for their beloved hometown, one for eco-tourism. Tourist friendly facilities, such as B&Bs, restaurants, water-themed ecological parks, and even a visitors centre has been put in place to enable the visitors to have a more convenient and pleasant trip.

If you are looking for a short getaway from the city bustle, Taomi & Paper Dome is the place to be. Experience it for yourself by spending an afternoon at Paper Dome, or a day at Taomi Village and I'm sure you will fall in love with this beautiful place (:

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb