Walking in Saigon


Advertisement
Asia
June 1st 2011
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Vietnamese CoffeeVietnamese CoffeeVietnamese Coffee

The coffee is inside the little silver cup and hot water is poured through. It then goes into your cup... soo yummy
We mapped out a route we wanted to go this morning and set out on foot to see the sites. We started at the War Museum. It had a lot of horrifying photographs that were taken during the war. The photographers either died in the war and their cameras were found, or after. The photos captured a lot of scared people, a lot of suffering and saddness. Unfortunately we didn't get to see the whole museum as it closed for lunch and we were only half way through. We didn't feel like oging back after though.
We went and saw the Notre Dame Cathedral next, then the Post office. The building was constructed when Vietnam was part of French Indochina in the early 20th century. It has a Gothic architectural style. Inside there are little shops. In one there was a book called 'The Drop of Life'. We would've loved to buy it for LJ. You'll see the photos below!
After we walked down the street a bit and came to a shopping mall with the big band names, Louis Vuitton, Armani, Jimmy Choo etc. We went inside but of course it was WAY out of our price range. After having some Subway for lunch (which was gross btw) we went back to our room. I had a snooze while Tris googled about bikes.

We walked around in hopes to find some information abut buying bikes. We found one lady that had one for sale. Her one bike was not bad and worth it, the others not so much. The one had a bunch of parts replaced and the other didn't sound good. We found another 2 which are awesome. They are SYM brand, automatics, great shape, low km.. but we dont know how we feel about buying from a local. He has all the paperwork, identification cards etc... we are going to think about it.

I came down to the internet cafe to check on plane prices for Megan and ourselves because the internet at the guesthouse sucks. Tris came down to meet me an hour later. A girl in a miniskirt and short skirt came up to him and said to him, "Excuse me, do you want girlfriend for the night?" Tris goes, "excuse me?? My girlfriend over there." and then she took off. Haha! It is normal for men walking alone to be asked that, he was a little shell shocked as he's normally walking with me.



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The girl in the pictureThe girl in the picture
The girl in the picture

A book was written about this photo


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb