Travels todate!


Advertisement
Asia
May 3rd 2011
Published: May 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Nz-Bangkok

Saying good bye, No tears went down but there was very nearly a tear at least a moist eye or two!

Well flights went down as expected, long and boring, did get to catch up on some movies though.

Arrival in Bangkok.
Our first chance to see how we get through customs, and really there was no fuss at all, way less than I expected any way, we pretty much got waved through without a thought. There was a guy withour names on a boardand off we went downstairs where he handed us off to a taxi Driver, (who obviously was not expecting my large kite bag. poor guy he just stood there scratching his head) any way we (that’s me and Jax ) got the gear in the taxi and off we went. I should probably mention that at this point we were sweating like I have never sweated before in my life! And we had only been out of the airport about 2 mins. The heat and humidity was super intense.
Fearless taxi driver and fear full passengers!
OK Taxi drivers in this country are certifiably nuts! Anything is on the cards, (and the cops don’t seem to give a toss. We saw about 8 of them all grouped together on the side of the motor way telling each other stories trying to look cool, but doing practically as little as possible.) Lanes don’t mean anything either and driving on the lines is normal, undertaking, overtaking, driving on the wrong side of the road. All Normal.
Yeah so we are getting taken through the back streets on the way to the hotel, and there are dogs everywhere, little side carts with “stuff” being sold and eaten- I say stuff because I have NO idea what it is, turns out is normally chicken or pork on sticks for like 5-10 baht(25-5-cents NZ) per stick and freaking yummy- and its 130am local time, looks like this city never stops. There are locals every where, getting taxi’s or tuk-tuks. I’m having to make a real effort not to gork everywhere at everything!
Any way after our first little bit of culture shock we are off to bed safe in the hotel having been traveling for 24 hrs.

Day one Bangkok:
The view from the hotel Indra regent, show all sorts, high rises mixed in with roof top shanty houses. Kind of crazy, it plays with my head a little bit to see such different levels of wealth slotted in right next to each other. I woke up pretty early local time 530am and about 6 there were Monks wandering the streets below, and road vendors pushing carts of crazy wonderful food I have never seen, but smells great. We shower and get dressed in the least clothes possible anticipating the horrendous humidity. We were not let down, it was like walking into a Sauna as soon as we left the hotel. It just assaults you as you leave the comfort of the air conditioning, and it kind of smells too, really hard to put your finger on but kind of sweet, humid, heat.
Jax is straight into it, she sees some roadside stalls and is off, Turns out we are on the corner of the ptratunan markets, im feeling pretty overwhelmed by the whole scale of everything, there are people everywhere you look, and Tuk-tuk drivers harassing us as soon as we leave the hotel stairs, Politely saying no does not seem to have much effect so we just walk away, as they yell after us “only 10 baht, where you going” . more on Tuk-tuks later.
The market jax has found has a few clothes in it and winds between buildings and down alley ways, some of which I’m not so sure about going down (as in they look dodgy) but Jax is off so I better follow her, try and keep us both safe.
It seems that when it comes to Thailand, Jax is fully trusting, and I seem to think we should be more careful, we haven’t had any scares, and we have talked about it, and it’s a funny little thing, I think she is being to carefree, and she thinks im being too scared. Somewhere in the middle is working out pretty good so far though.
So we decide we had better head to Khaosan rd (the tourist area of Bangkok) to book our tickets to Koh Lanta, and we decide that its only a little walk (5km) so why not? About an hour later and some neat road side temples we bite the bullet and hail a taxi! I have got my Bargaining down to a tee and offer the guy 200 baht determined not to get taken for a ride. (I asked the hotel clerk before we left how much it would cost. He said 200) the taxi guy makes a big deal out of it and eventually agrees at 200 (Success!) We get to Khaosan Rd and get assaulted by Tuk-tuk drivers again, they have this thing where they hold out their hand – like you would to shake hands- and say “good morning, hello sir, how are you, do you need tuk-tuk, temple tour only 10baht I take you 2 hours all temples best shopping” mean while you are trying to get your hand back and get away! Lesson learnt never shake hands with a tuk-tuk driver or anyone you don’t know on Khaosan rd. Seems the Deal is you get taken for a “cheap” tuk-tuk ride but are expected to buy stuff at every where they stop. We only ever got in one Tuk-tuk that story later, we managed to avoid them this day though.
Khaosan Rd where to start!!!
We wandered a bit looking at stalls and clothes, sweating all the while. Eventually we stopped to get a drink at a bar and get our heads round it all.
There are street hawkers everywhere selling wooden frogs to hats and other useless stuff. and crazy folk that came to Thailand and never returned to normal life. One such guy, while we were having lunch, threw a book down on the table next to us and said “I want money” he was drooling heavily and kind of freaky, Looked normal though, like American, with glasses on and normal clothes. When I told him to go away, he got weird and started saying shit like “you wanna kill me then come on, do it,” and “ fuck you ill spit in your food give me money” and the nice guy finished it off with “your going to fucked die in two days you fucking cunt” Shame I didn’t get a pic of him, he was a real head case! Oh and that was three days ago so im all good – I think.
On this street you can get pretty much anything, from travel to drinks, to all sorts of clothes and accessories, and other junk, but good coffee is hard to come buy. There must be about 30 odd guys selling tailor made suits and other stuff, yeah I kind of fell for that one, but it looks awesome trust me!!
On our second day here we got a Foot massage (30mins for 100baht each $5NZD) and while we were laying there a guy comes up and asked if we wanted a beer, well it was bloody hot and we wanted a beer bad, so I gave him 1000Bht note, well off he walks down the street, and I’m thinking “bugger” just got scammed, im so green!! But about 5 mins later back he comes with two 650ml Chang beers 6.5%!y(MISSING)eah! And my change!!! Fucking love Thailand!!!
Now im pretty sure if I could get a massage in Queen st Auckland with a swappa bottle of cold beer, on the street, it would cost a hell of a lot more than 180baht each person, that’s like $7.50NZD, and I’m also really sure that every one would think I was nuts, but not here its just Normal, if you want a beer when you are getting your feet rubbed NO ONE CARES, As a matter of fact its encouraged !! Wicked Highlight of my day!!

We meet up with Connie and Sven later that night at Khaosan Rd, really great to have folks that have been here before and could show us the ropes a bit, they showed us a wicked place to have Dinner away from the madness that is Khaosan rd.

Also little note on Taxi’s, Well I thought I was so savvy bargaining with the taxi drivers for a set rate, Man was I wrong!! First taxi cost us 200bht, not bad really only $8NZD, the taxi back to the hotel I bargained down to 150bht from 200bht, and the guy got us deep fried banana things from a lady walking down the traffic lines at the lights, and the taxi back to Khaosan rd for dinner I got down to 120bht. Im really good at this right? WRONG! Talking to Sven and Connie, and they let us in on the truth, NEVER EVER GET IN A TAXI UNLESS ITS METER IS RUNNING! So after a wicked dinner and a fair few Chang beers. We are getting a taxi from Khaosan rd and get in and say “taxi meter” the driver does not want to do this he wants to bargain “200baht” -next taxi -“taxi meter?” No he wants to charge 150, next Taxi and he agrees to use the meter. Guess what, the same trip that we had done 3 times that day was 64baht on the meter!!! EFFING bastards, do they know how to get you or what, and it was always me saying how much to here or there etc and then thinking I was getting a good deal. Apparently that wont work in Vietnam they have the meters rigged or something but always use the meter here in Thailand, thanks Sven and Connie you guys rule!!

Bangkok Day 2:
Up early and I get some food from the road down stairs, then we are off to the ChatuChuk markets, this market is 35 acres ( im not lying) and nuts
We are stuck trying to get a taxi when a tuk-tuk pulls up. Im trying not to get in, he says no stops and only 10 baht to the market, too good to be true right, too dam right, just around the corner he stops and says we have to go get Gasoline! Jax says “no stops” and then we have this little to and fro were he pleads with us to go so he can get a gas voucher, it ends with us jumping out of the Tuk-tuk and getting a taximeter taxi instead
We then spend the next while browsing the markets get a mean lunch of iced tea and chicken or pork somthings on a stick wicked cheap and tasty as
And back to Khaosan rd with all our gear to get a bus to Koh Lanta!

Ok will update tomorrow with tales of bus rides and Kohl anta as we are and a new friend of mine called Arthur.


Advertisement



3rd May 2011

Love it!
Hi you two, Absolutely love your blog. I imagine it will get shorter and shorter but for now love the detail. I think you're both right - meet in the middle with your caution. Jax - be careful, you're a prime target, and Dan, trust a little. It's really a case by case basis. You're also right, the one thing that you can be absolutely sure of is that you will get ripped off all the time, the thing is, at the end of the day, it's pittance to us. What's a couple of dollars here and there? Thailand is in fact much more expensive then people say, but as you've discovered, it really is because the one's that stay longer know the ropes. Dan - get some Thai pants. Photos please. Have the best time, keep the news coming! P.S. Hire a scooter if you make it to an island. Kirsty
4th May 2011

Thai pants!!
Thai pants are for girls!!! i have a Sarong (real men wear sarongs) we have rented a scooter just not blogged that yet, and plenty of vids to upload as well, just the interweb is a little slow here. Jax is a gun on the scooter (Auther)

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb