Day 1 - Chicken Oriental!!


Advertisement
Asia
April 5th 2011
Published: April 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

New Delhi. Wow.



This place is absolutely mental.
Rules of the road in India...
1. The only common theme with european driving is that there is a road and there are cars on it.
2. The lines on these roads do not mean a thing. if you can fit 5 cars across a road designed for 3 then guess which actually happens...
3. Indicators are purely there for decoration
4. I never realised you can have a conversation using only car horns, but Delhites are fluent in it...
exceptionally scary but also thrilling at the same time as we both knew that we would be absolutely fine. London cabbies wouldnt last 5 minutes!!

The smells, the amount of people, the harrassment all day by guys wanting your attention, nothing can ever prepare you for all this commotion! how it all works i don't know but somehow this city keeps on going..

We arrived at 9am local time, breezed through arrivals and customs to see the most amazing site after a sleepless overnight flight, a man with Rhian's name on it! the heat was intense, diffused with the exhaust fumes and incense, it shakes awake your mind from the slumber of BA247. The intensity of daily Delhi life being played out before your eyes does not let you stop concentrating for a second, you will miss something if you do!
After a 3 hour snooze ,we headed into Connaught Place, the centre of downtown Delhi, for a stroll to get our bearings. It is manic! stalls and shops everywhere, people staring at the beacons of two tall white newbies trying to look confident in what they're doing... The centre of the area is a tranquil park, an oasis in the centre of the urban desert, where it seems young couples get away from the observant family eyes to spend time together in the shade and greenery of secrecy. it was actually very refreshing to experience! well until we spotted a Maccie D's! Lol don"t worry we didn't go in 😊 we went for a snack in this awesome place we found in the lonely planet guide and had uttapans and dosas, an Indian equivalent of an afternoon snack!

This town is completely overwhelming, ridiculously busy, but strangely incredible to be a part of.

G&R


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb