Asia, the final month of our travels!


Advertisement
Asia
March 8th 2011
Published: March 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Changi airport in Singapore 35 minutes ahead of schedule at 9:10PM. We passed through immigration and customs and picked up our bags. We made our way to the pick up point and waited for our shuttle bus which picked us up at 10:20. We were dropped off at our hostel in Little India and we checked in. The hostel was good, free internet, air conditioned and free breakfast up until midday. We spent the rest of the evening using the internet and relaxed before bed. The next morning we used the internet, had breakfast and showered. We then went out to explore Little India’s markets which were filled with little shops selling all sorts of items. We then visited the Sri Veerama Kaliamman temple and looked around at the interesting architecture. We then made our way to the Little India MRT station where we caught the train to Dhoby Ghaut. We then changed lines and got a train to Orchard. The MRT is very very clean, cheap and efficient way of travelling around central Singapore. When we got off at Orchard we looked around the big ION shopping centre and it’s amazing food court. We then walked up Orchard Road and looked at all the other shops. There are shopping centres all over Singapore and they are always full. We had some food and we then got the train back to the hostel and used the internet. We then got the train to Raffles Place and met Simon. He walked us through Boat Quay and up to Clarke Quay. Along the way he pointed out areas of interest to us and told us about the local area. We walked along the streets that host the Singapore Grand Prix and then looked around Clarke Quay. There were some interesting bars such as the Clinic bar. The seats were hospital waiting room chairs and wheelchairs, some of the drinks were drunk through a drip and shots were drunk through a syringe! We then had a drink and chatted and Simon then showed us a couple of hawker markers which are big food courts and we then got the MRT back to the hostel and went to bed.

The next day we got the MRT to Orchard and walked up to the botanical gardens. We walked around the lakes and then got tickets to the orchid garden which contained hundreds of different orchids which was really picturesque. We grabbed a drink and then got the bus to Dempsey, where the British army barracks were durning the war. As my Grandad served here during the war, we went up there to have a look. There aren’t many signs of the war there but we had a drink to toast him and had a look around before coming back. We walked back to the ION centre and grabbed a snack before getting the MRT back to the hostel. We used the internet and then got the MRT to Clarke Quay walked around. We then walked the Lau Pa Sat, a big hawker market. Hawker markets and food courts are a very cheap way of eating, you get a lot for your money and the standard of food is good. During the evening they close the road outside Lau Pa Sat and there are barbecues lined down the street who serve satays all evening. We had some and they were really good. We then got the MRT back to the hostel, used the internet and watched a film.

The following morning we caught a bus to the MacRichie reservoir. We walked along the boardwalk and some monkeys and lizards. We sat by the reservoir and watched the world go by for a while before getting the bus back. We had a drink and then came back to the hostel and used the internet. We then got the MRT back to Raffles Place. One Raffles Place is a huge building with a bar on the top of it. There is a golf centre 63 floors up so we blagged our way up there by making out we were interested in golf. The views over the city were stunning and the golf centre was actually really good. I was then invited to use the golf simulator! After an indifferent start (I missed the ball!), I managed to hit a few. We then came back down and visited a brownie shop so I treated Hayley to a early valentines present (we’re on a budget and she seemed happy!) We then got the MRT back to Little India and when we arrived it was throwing it down! We went to the hawker market nearby and got some food and then braved the rain and ran back to the hostel. After drying off we used the internet until the rain stopped and then got ready and got the bus to the night safari. We arrived and went to the creatures of the night show which was good and then we walked around the park and saw all the different types of animals including lions, tigers and crocodiles. We then got the park tram which includes a running commentary as you go around the park. We also saw a few animals that you can’t see by walking around such as elephants. It was a really good evening out and we then got the bus back to the hostel.

The next day we got the MRT to Harbourfront. We got our tickets to the cable car over to Sentosa. We boarded the cable car and as we travelled across there were some great views over Singapore and Sentosa. We arrived and had a look around before making our way to the beach. We had a dip in the sea and went for a swim and then sunbathed for a while. We had a drink and got the cable car up to Mount Faber and had a look around and then got the cable car back to Harbourfront. We had a bite to eat and then got the MRT back to Little India and came back to the hostel. We used the internet and then got the MRT to Chinatown. We had a look around and then got something to eat and came back to the hostel. We used the internet and went to bed. We really enjoyed Singapore, everyone had told us it would be expensive and it can be but the transport is very cheap and if you use the hawker markets and food courts you can eat well for very little. There was plenty for us to do, Simon was really helpful and gave us some really good advice but it was definately worth exploring for a few days.

We didn’t sleep well as a guy in our room was snoring ridiculously loudly! We had breakfast and caught the shuttle bus to the airport. We checked in and waited in the departure lounge. We boarded the plane and set off at 9:40. The flight was fine and after a bumpy landing we landed in Phuket. After a short wait on the runway we passed through immigration and customs and were greeted by plenty of very eager taxi drivers willing to take us anywhere! We decided to get a quick snack and boarded the airport bus into Phuket town. The journey took around an hour and we arrived at about 12:45 and then made the short walk to our guesthouse and checked in. Our room was great, it had a TV, fridge, air conditioning, en suite and best of all we didn’t have to share with anyone else! We dropped our bags off and then walked to the information centre and picked up some leaflets and then went to a cafe for lunch where I had my first taste (and certainly not my last!) of traditional Thai food in the form of a spicy red curry which was delicious. Thai food is particularly cheap all over Thailand and the food itself is generally really fresh and tasty. We had a meal and a drink each which came to around seven pounds. We bought a couple of drinks for the room and as it was really hot came back and had a bit of us time. Although a majority of the shared dorms we’ve been in have been fine it was nice to have our own space so we relaxed and watched some TV. We went out in the evening and had some food and then came back and used the internet and watched TV before bed.

After a good night’s sleep we woke at 10:00 and went for breakfast. We booked our boat transfer for the next day and then hopped on a bus to Kata beach. We arrived and then walked down a couple of streets until we arrived at the beach which was really nice. We sunbathed for a while and then had a dip in the warm sea. We got a drink each and relaxed for a few hours, a nice way to spend valentines day! We got the bus back to Phuket town and came back to the room and showered. We watched some TV and had a drink and then went to a restaurant for dinner which again was very nice. We stopped at a shop on the way back and I got Hayley some Ferrero rocher (how romantic!) and we then came back to the room and watched some TV before bed. We woke at 7:00 the next morning, packed and checked out of our room. The shuttle bus picked us up just after 8:00 and took us to the ferry port. We boarded the ferry and set off at 8:30 and after being on the ferry for an hour and a half we arrived in Koh Phi Phi. We disembarked and paid the twenty baht entry fee onto the island. We went to the tourist information centre and found some accommodation. There are no motor vehicles or roads on Phi Phi so a member of staff from the accommodation came down to the pier with a trolley and carried our bags through the winding alleys lined with stalls, bars, shops and restaurants which make up Phi Phi. We arrived at our guesthouse and checked into our room which was fine, we dropped our bags and went and got some food from a street vendor. We then walked to the beach which was really pretty and spent a few hours sunbathing and swimming. We went back to the room and showered and then went out and got a smoothie and had some dinner. We then spent a couple of hours looking around all the different stalls before coming back, watching a movie and going to bed.

The following morning we got up and went for breakfast. We then booked our tickets for a boat trip that afternoon and went to the beach for a couple of hours. At 1:30 we met for our boat trip, we met our guide and he led us down to the water where we boarded the longtail boat. Our first stop was monkey island and it was just what you’d expect, an island of monkeys! The guide fed them and we had a walk around and you could see them everywhere. As we were leaving a couple of the monkeys decided to get very friendly right in front of us which was hilarious! We then moved on and at our next stop we did some snorkeling. We saw loads of different fish, I’ve found snorkeling to be a very relaxing pastime, we’re both hoping to do our dive courses in the future as we’ve both found it really interesting. Afterwards we went around to Maya Bay, where the movie ‘the beach’ was filmed. The bay was pretty stunning, we walked along the sand and then explored the dense forest just off of the beach. We then went in the water and I did some snorkeling and we then sat on the sand and took in the view before getting back on the boat. We then went to Shark Point and did some more snorkeling and then we went to sunset point and watched the sunset over the ocean from the boat before heading back. The tour was great and at only 250 baht (just over £5) each offered great value for money. We came back to the room, showered and used the internet before going out for dinner. We had a smoothie and then came back back to room and relaxed after a really good day.

We were up at 7:20 the next morning and Hayley went to get our boat tickets. We packed and checked out and walked down to the ferry terminal. We boarded the boat and we set off at 9:15. We arrived at Koh Lanta ferry port at 10:45 and after a short walk we found our guesthouse in Saladan town and checked in. The room was basic but we had air conditioning which was a bonus. We settled in and then walked to the beach which took about 25 minutes. When we got there we had a bite to eat at one of the many beachside restaurants and then had a dip in the sea and sunbathed for a few hours. We then walked back, had a shower and went out. We found a lovely little restaurant just down the road from where we were staying and had dinner. We then walked around and browsed the market stalls and art shops that lined the street before coming back to the room and using the internet before bed. The following day we had a quiet day, we went out for some food, watched some films and researched the next few islands we were visiting, chilled out, went out for dinner and went to bed, like I said a quiet day!

We had breakfast the next morning and then bought our transfer ticket for the following day. We walked to the beach and spent the day sunbathing. We collected shells to write birthday messages for Sean and Mum (hope you liked them!) and then walked back. We showered and then went for dinner. I had Tom Yung Kung, a spicy Thai soup, which I would highly recommend. We have both really enjoyed the Thai food, it’s very fresh and is packed with flavour (if you don’t like too much spice though, be sure to tell the waiter/waitress beforehand!) It’s also the cheapest thing to eat, I’ve loved having curry pretty much every night! On the way back we picked up some snacks for tomorrow’s transfer and then came back to the room, used the internet, watched some TV and went to bed.

We woke at 7:00 the next morning and packed our bags. We checked out and then got on the minibus and it took us to the ferry port to board the car ferry. After a short boat ride we arrived on the mainland and drove across to Surat Thani. We arrived at the ferry port at 11:20 and were given our ferry ticket. We boarded the boat and set off at 12:00. The journey across was fine and we arrived at Koh Samui at 1:30. We were greeted by taxi drivers trying to charge us over the odds for a taxi so we walked out of the ferry port and after a short walk a taxi took us to the songthaew station for a fraction of the price. A songthaew is basically a big taxi/bus which costs a lot less than the big taxis. We got a songthaew around to Maenam beach and found a place with available beachside bungalows and checked in. The bungalow was nice, double bed, a fan, en-suite, cold shower and wi-fi for 400 baht which was pretty good. We had a dip in the sea to cool off and then got ready and found a place for dinner. We then came back to room, used skype and watched a film before going to sleep after a long day.

The next morning we walked along the beach and found somewhere to have breakfast. After breakfast we carried on walking along the beach and then went for a swim, Maenam beach was nice, decent sand (in most areas), not too many rocks and deep enough for a good swim. We mucked around in the water and went for a swim. We then walked further up the beach again and again went in the sea before coming back to the room. We used the internet before walking up the beach to a restaurant. We had a good dinner and then walked back the room and watched a film before bed. The following morning we hand washed some clothes and used the internet. We found out about the earthquake that hit Christchurch that morning. We read the articles and looked at the videos and pictures in disbelief, it’s hard to believe we were there just over three months ago and a lot of the photos we have of our time there are so different from how it now looks. Our hearts went out to everyone there. The hostel we stayed at when we were there, was actually in some of the pictures on the news as the buildings around it have collapsed which is scary. We went some food and then walked along the beach. It started to rain heavily so we put our stuff under cover and dived in the sea which was great fun and the rain looked really pretty as it bounced off the water. We walked back up the beach once the rain had stopped, took some photos and had another swim before coming back to the room. We showered and relaxed before going for dinner. We then came back and watched a film before bed.

We got up at 6:15 the next morning to watch the sunrise on the beach. We packed our bags and went for breakfast before coming back to the room, grabbing our bags and checking out. We grabbed a taxi to Lomprayah pier and bought our boat ticket. We waited just over an hour and then boarded the boat and made the twenty minute journey to Koh Phangan. We disembarked and got on a songthaew which took us to our accommodation in Baan Tai. We checked in and after a short wait for our bungalow to be cleaned, we dropped our bags off. Again the bungalow was nice and not too pricey at 500 baht. Wet walked down the beach, which was quite stoney but we found a soft patch of sand and sunbathed. i tried to go for a swim but unfortunately the sea was pretty shallow and there were a lot of rocks around. We came back to where we were staying and had a drink at the beach bar. We went out for dinner which was nice and then found a 24 hour sports bar which had highlights of Blackpool Vs Spurs on so we watched that and had a drink before walking back and watching a film before bed.

The next morning we went to the beach bar and used the internet before going back for breakfast. We came back to our accommodation and then walked to a bakery to have a snack and a drink. We came back and relaxed for a bit in our hammock. We found that unless you’re going to one of the many parties hosted on Koh Phangan or you’ve got money (we were on a pretty strict budget!) there isn’t a lot to do to Koh Phangan. The guy where we were staying hired scooters as many places do. They are a cheap way of getting around the islands, but after looking at the way people ride them and the amount of people we’ve seen with injuries, we weren’t prepared to try using them. We used the internet and then came back to the room. We had some food at our accommodation’s restaurant which wasn’t the best and then came back to the room and watched a film.

We went for breakfast and booked our transfer for tomorrow the following morning and then came back to the accommodation and used the internet. We lounged around on the decking by the beach and had a quick dip in the sea before walking to a nearby supermarket to get us a drink and a snack. We had those and sat on the decking before coming back to the room. The laid in our hammock and listened to some music before showering and getting ready. We went for dinner and then went to the sports bar for a drink and watched some footy highlights. We then came back to the room and watched a film before bed. We got up the next morning and packed our bags before going for breakfast. We went to the supermarket and then came back and used the internet and checked out. We were picked up from our accommodation and the minibus took us to the pier and after waiting for just under an hour we boarded the boat and set off. We arrived in Koh Tao at 2:30 and after a short walk we arrived at our accommodation. After dealing with a few ants in the room we dropped our bags off and headed for Sai Ree beach which was really nice. We went in the sea to cool off and then sunbathed for a while before watching the sunset over the water. We walked back and showered before going for dinner and using the internet. We went to another bar and watched a bit of football before going back to the room and watching a film before bed.

Didn’t sleep particularly well which probably contributed to me not feeling great that morning. We used the internet and went for breakfast. We then grabbed our stuff and headed for the beach. We went in the sea and had a nap which made me feel better. We relaxed for a while and then came back and used the internet and organised our next transfer. We showered and went for dinner. The place we went to showed two movies a night so we watched PS I love you and had some dinner. We then came back and watched another film before going to sleep. We woke the next morning and used the internet quickly before grabbing some breakfast. We met at the tour operators where we were picked up for our snorkeling trip. We arrived at the pier and boarded the boat. We set off at 9:00 and our first stop was shark bay, I saw a few different fish and Hayley spotted a couple of black tip sharks. We then moved on to our next stop which was Aow Leuk where we saw loads of different fish and we both saw a shark here. We got back on the boat and had some fruit and then went to our next stop which was lighthouse point. There was a lot of rubbish in the sea here but we still saw a lot of different fish and some interesting corals. We had lunch when we got back on the boat and we then went to the japanese gardens and the snorkeling was really good here, with many different corals and fish. Afterwards we went to Nang Yuan island with it’s famous triple connecting beach. We got off the boat and paid the 100 baht entry fee each to the island. We walked along the beach and then did some more snorkeling. We got back on the boat at 3:30 and headed back to the main pier after what was a really good trip. We came back and used the internet and called Mum to wish her a happy birthday before showering and going out for dinner. We went to the same place as last night and watched the fighter and 2 fast 2 furious whilst having dinner and a couple of drinks. We came back and used the computer before going to bed.

We both slept really well and when we woke up we packed our bags, used the internet and checked out. We left our bags at the ferry port office and found somewhere to have a drink and something to eat. We used the internet and then headed for a shop to buy some snacks for the journey and then went to the ferry port and checked in and waited for our boat. We boarded the boat and after a three hour journey we arrived at Chumpon ferry port. We then reconfirmed our bus tickets to Bangkok and then had some noodles whilst waiting for the bus. We set off at 7:00 and watched a couple of films before getting some sleep. We arrived at Koh San Road at 4:00AM and after a couple of attempts we found a taxi driver willing to take us on the meter. After a short drive we found where we were staying and checked in where we were greeted by Lin. We went to our room and chatted for a while and then had a few hours sleep. When we woke up we got ready and went up to Lin’s apartment. We went out for some lunch and then got a taxi to the tailors. We discussed what suits we liked and looked at some fabric and after some deliberation we decided to get a suit each and agreed a price. We were then measured up and paid our deposit. We got a taxi back and the got the sky-train (BTS) to Siam. We walked to the MBK centre and looked around the different shops and stalls before going to the supermarket and we got some supplies. We got the train back and relaxed for a while before going to Lin’s. We showed her some of our photos and then went to a local place for dinner which was really nice. We came back and chatted for a while before coming back to our room, watching some TV and going to bed.

We woke the next morning and after breakfast we skyped a very drunk Fran! We then walked to the BTS station and caught the train to Siam. We went to the MBK centre again and bought some souvenirs. We got the train back and came back to our room and skyped Dad. We then had a snack before getting a taxi to the tailors for our suit fitting. We were offered a drink and then tried on our trousers and shirts. The tailors used pins and chalk to make alterations and we then tried on our jackets, it was amazing how much work they had done on them in under 24 hours. We got a taxi back, skyped Mum and then did some laundry. We watched some TV and when Lin arrived home from work we popped up to her place. We went for some food and then came back to hers and chatted for a while before going back to our room and going to bed. We got up early the next morning and had breakfast. Lin then came to our room and we made our way down to the lobby where we met Luck, who was kindly going to show us around Ayutthaya. We were picked up and made the hour long journey to Ayutthaya, which is Thailand’s former capital city. We went to the factory where Lin was working and had a drink before getting in the car with Luck and the driver took us to the elephant park. Luck organised our tickets and we rode an elephant which was great fun. The ride lasted around 20 minutes and we then had our photo taken with an elephant and fed one of the baby elephants. We walked around the town and the markets before getting in the car and going to the restaurant where we were having lunch. Luck ordered us some food which was really nice and Lin and her work colleagues then joined us and more food was ordered. After a very good feed we got back in the car with Luck and visited Wat Phra Mahathat, a temple ruin, which was really interesting. We walked around the ruins and a buddha’s face that had been surrounded by the roots of a tree and lots of other buddhas and the architecture was really impressive. We then went to Wat Chai Watthanaram, another ruin, and walked around. The temples at this site were taller and reminded me of the Indiana Jones films! We then got in the car and came back to the factory and waited for Lin to finish work. When Lin finished we were driven back to Bangkok where we said goodbye to Luck, who looked after us so well and made us feel so welcome all day (thank you!) We showed Lin the photos we’d taken and then looked at some photos from some of her many travels before coming back to our room, watching some TV and going the bed after a nice day.

The next morning we woke and walked to the BTS station and caught the train to Mo Chit and visited the Chatuchak markets, which are huge. They sell everything in the markets, from animals to candles. We bought some souvenirs and looked around before coming back to Victory Monument and got a taxi to the tailors for our second fitting. There still some slight alterations needed so we came back our room and dropped our stuff off before meeting up with Lin. We got the train to Phrom Phong and had some lunch before having a look around some shops. We then went to the acupuncturists where Hayley and Lin had some acupuncture which Hayley enjoyed. I waited in the reception and made full use of the massage chair! We then had a drink and went to the supermarket before getting the train back. We had some dinner at Lin’s and watched some TV before coming back to our room and going to bed. We went down to Lin’s the next morning and we caught the train to Saphan Taksin and we then boarded the river boat and sailed along the Chao Phraya river until we reached Tha Chang (Elephant pier). We walked up the road until we reached the grand palace. We walked around and looked at all the impressive looking temples and saw the emerald buddha before walking through and seeing the palace which was really nice. We then walked to Wat Pho to see the reclining buddha which was huge! We looked around the grounds and then got a boat back up to Tha Chang. We then got on a longtail boat which took us around the klongs (canals). The trip lasted an hour and it was really interesting. We then got a boat back down the river and when we got off we got back on the train and headed to the MBK centre where we got some photos developed and had some dinner. We then got the train back and had a drink and packed our bags for the last time! We skyped Ellen and Sean and toasted our final night as travellers before going to bed.

We woke the following morning and took our bags to Lin’s room and checked out. We got a taxi to the tailors and although my suit was ready, Hayley’s needed a slight alteration so we got a taxi back and met up with Lin. We had some lunch and then got the train to Phrom Phong where we visited the massage school. We had a foot scrub and massage each which was really nice (although I was in immense pain at times!) We got the train back and went back to the tailors and our suits were ready! We are both really happy with our suits they look great and fit so well. We then got a taxi back to Lin’s and packed the last few bits before going to dinner. We came back and then got a taxi to the airport. We checked our bags in and said goodbye to Lin, who’s been fantastic to us during our stay in Bangkok. We had a drink and then waited in the departure lounge. We boarded the plane at 11:30 and after a bit of a delay we took off at 12:45. After a long flight, a few films and a bit of a sleep we landed at London Heathrow at 5:35AM, the temperature outside was -1, welcome home! After getting our bags we were greeted by our Dads and treated to a breakfast before getting in the car and driving home to see the rest of our families. We had a cup of tea at Mum’s before saying goodbye to each other, which seemed strange after six months of being together all the time!

It’s been an amazing six months, the best of our lives in fact. We’ve experienced so many different things, things we wouldn’t of imagined doing before we left. We have memories and stories to last us a lifetime. We’ve met so many great people and have made friends for life. We’d like to thank everyone who has helped us with accommodation and everyone who has given us advice, we thank each and every one of you for help, you made our trip even better. We wish everyone we met well and hope to see you again, we wish our good friends Millie and Dan the very best for the rest of their travels, and we look forward to catching with all of our friends at home! We hope you have all enjoyed reading our blogs, apologies if they were a bit long winded! Now it’s time to get back to reality!


Additional photos below
Photos: 915, Displayed: 44


Advertisement



10th March 2011

Welcome Home
Lovely to have you back your blogg has been amazing to read, and keep us in touch while you were, both away. WELCOME BACK BOTH OF YOU. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb