china


Advertisement
Asia
August 31st 2009
Published: May 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a long flight we finally arrived at 11pm Friday in Beijing. Our cab could not get into the area of our hotel due to city being closed off for some student exercise. 100,000 students had been brought in to practice for national day march on Oct 1 at 11pm at night. We had to go to another hotel at midnight. After driving us for nearly 80 minutes we had no idea how much to pay him but the hotel told us it was $25 US. He did not seem happy but they said that was right and he left.

Saturday: We were up early and moved to the Harmony Hotel as we had booked. They refunded our accommodation from the night before and the hotel was so much nicer: we were very happy. After checking in we walked to the Temple of Heaven and Harvest Hall which took us about 3 hours due to regular detours into back street hutongs. We also made a short shop at Pearl Markets for a shopping checkin. Changed money $1 Aus = approx 5.5Yuen or 1 Yuen = 20 cents.

Sunday took the metro to the Summer Palace (metro 5 and then metro 10; cost 2Y total) and walked about 15-20 minutes. Met a nice young swedish pair who were also walking from metro so we made our way there and chatted to them. They are working in Beijing for 8 weeks for Ericson. Walked all over palace for about 6 hours including boat ride across the lake. At one of the traditional market streets in the Summer Palace we had a scroll made for us which says "Harmony in Marriage". The chinaman who created the artwork was so lovely. After a full day we decided to catch the ferry as we left the Summer Palace (Y40) back to the hotel via bamboo gardens and zoo to exhibition centre. We then walked back to metro loop to take metro back to hotel. This was a great way to see more of the city which seems to have parks around every bend.

Monday: Today we were to meet up with tour group that afternoon so we spent the morning shopping via markets and mall near Tianamen Square and then came back to the Pearl markets for serious shop.
Met up with tour group at 5pm in the hotel. A total of 12 people mostly from Australia, Hungary and Portugal/London. Only two other couples. Ling is our tour leader and after paperwork and introductions we all went out for a great meal at her suggestion.

Tuesday: Our 25th Wedding Anniversary: 8am start and headed off on bus for 2 hour drive to Mutianyu section of Great Wall. We took the cable car up (35Y pp) and walked from gate 14 to 26 then back to gate 6 to catch the toboggan (40Y pp) back to the carpark. The wall is amazing with it continuing in every direction over far higher mountains. The weather was not crystal clear but at least we could see from our start point to destination and some of the farther mountains. I slept for the journey home.
When we returned we did a final shop at the Pearl Markets and boxed up our goodies to post to Shanghai (56Y). Ian and I walked to Wangfu st markets for dinner (90Y). Taxi back to hotel (10Y).

Wednesday: Our guide took us to Tianamen Square via the metro. We walked along the massive square and realised that no kites were being flown in this area as they are no longer allowed. there was a strong army presence. A man walked past us shouting out some sort of slogan and was quickly grabbed by the police and put into a paddy wagon. Ian tried to get the guards to talk to him but they would not and took a photo with his finger up Mao's nose. We walked on to the forbidden city. The area is quiet amazingly large. Emporer buildings had 9 animals on the roof capping while less animals meant less importance. there were originally 9999 rooms in the forbidden palace and 3000 concubines plus unichs. The Dragon Lady was the second concubine to the Emporer. Ian and I took our photo under one of the special joined trees which are meant to bring longevity to marriage. We tried to catch a taxi when we left the forbidden city but they would not take us saying it was an area where these taxi's could not go. eventually we got one but he tried to overcharge us (20Y). The tour group had to share two rooms for late checkout so we all took turns for showers and packed our bags ready for the night train to Xian. We had dinner just around the corner from the hotel in the hutong (1st right, then 1st restaurant on left 42Ypp). At 7.30 we took tour bus to train station about 45 mins away. The station was chaotic and there is no way we would have known where to go if we hadn't had Ling with us. Our train was to depart at 9.30. Each hard sleeper cabin had 6 beds in it. Ian and I shared with Ling and 3 other chinese men. We bought some hot beers on the train to help us sleep (15Y ea). After a couple of games of cards the train lights were turned off at 10.30 and we all got ready to sleep. I read till about 11.30 with my torch. Had a good night and slept till about 6.30 am.

Thursday: Got off train at 8.50 and walked about 700 metres to our bus. The bus took us straight to our hotel and we checked in. we then met about 10.30 for orientation walk through the cultural market and back to have lunch together. This feast included dumplings,, cucumber, fish, lamb and tomatoe, sticky rice balls with dates, beef hot pot, sweet potatoe in toffee, funghi and vegetables. (32Ypp). We then caught a local bus to the bus station and took tour out to the Terracotta Warriors. 13/4 hour bus ride. Jim our guide was not very informative. The Emporers tomb is said to still be untouched due to a mercury river protecting it. Bus back at 6.15 till 7.00. Went with Ling for dinner to market street. Kites were flying up to 60 metres per strip of kites. sometimes 2 or 3 were strung together. spectacular.

Friday: Early rise at 7.30 breakfast and on to the Xi-an city wall for a ride around the 14km (40Y for 100min bike hire plus 200Y deposit). So much to see as you ride along that we took the whole 100mins as we stopped repeatedly to look in the parks below at the people dancing, tai chi, whip cracking, bird walking and generally exercising. Ian even joined in a dance by climbing up on the wall for a mackarena type song. Ian also blew out his bike chain on a steep rise to the tower so had to swap it at the next rental point. Left for train at 11.30am. the train stations are so crowded and nothing is written in English so without a guide it would be very hard going and easy to get lost. Our train was delayed start but eventually got going. More cards and lots of drinking as we had so many daylight hours on this trip. Our cabins were more open and the train was not as new as previous one but still comfortable. I didn't sleep as well this time but Ian slept well as he had more drinks to help him sleep.

Saturday: Our train was meant to arrive at Chengdu at 5.30am but was delayed until 10am. Short walk to our bus and then straight to our hotel to check in. So pleased to have a shower and clean up. Our hotel was on a really pretty traditional chinese street but the place smells musty from the weather. Nothing dries in Chengdu as the humidity is too high and the smog is bad too. Chengdu is famous for its produce including tea. We went out for lunch and city orientation. Another feast (38Y). The flavours are so awesome. After orientation walk I went for a 2 hour Thai massage (120Y). Dinner was a local hot pot which is a dish in the middle of table where you cook all your food. Chengdu is known for its spicy hot pot. Too hot for us !!! Went to a local bar for drinks.

Sunday: 6am Ian and I went to the local park to do some Yoga. still dark but many people were walking and doing tai chi. Ian hurt his knee. We had to leave at 9am to take bus to Leshan to see the Grand Buddah cliff statue. The boat ride left the warf at midday but the smog was thick on the river and after 1 hour return trip we got back on the bus to head to Mt Emei. The Bagou monaster was our first monastery accommodation and was beautiful. They charge 8Y entry and rooms are 40Y pp but this was included for us. You can also buy vegetarian dinner with the monks 10Y pp. Our local guide met us and after booking into our rooms he took us to a local farm for lunch. Ian was not feeling well so stayed at the monastery. Lunch was fantastic with fabulous local vegetable dishes and meat stir fries. I got a takeaway meal prepared for Ian and took it back to the monastery. I forgot alcohol and meat are not allowed in the monastery so Ian ate it in the park across the road. The shower was a donkey hot water shower outside which was clean but very basic. It was great to have a shower as it was very humid. The rooms were very traditional and Ian and I joined the monks for dinner. We had a late card game with Tess and Keith and went to bed about 10.

Monday: Bells started at 4am and chanting at 4.30. It was so relaxing. Up at 6 for a shower and then breakfast at 6.30 which our guide brought to us (eggs in bread, banana and tea for 12Y each). A new guide arrived at 7am to take us on our trip up Mt Emei. We took a day pack only for our overnight trek and walked into town and caught the bus for 2+ hours up the mountain and then a cable car the final distance to the summit at 3600metres. Finally we were above the clouds! A further walk for about 20 minutes found us at the Golden Buddah which was built only three years ago. Three buildings painted Silver, Gold and Bronze can be seen from mountains around giving off their metalic glow. We then caught the bus back down the mountain to the beginning of our trek. The trek took us through the old monastery track within the national park and was such a spectacular walk including the monkeys along the trail. It was a long and hard walk for 2 hours including over 1000 steps in the final section that led to Hongchunping monastery. Ian's knee was really swollen by the time we reached the top at 1000m and I was a lather of sweat. We bought an ice block to use as a cold pack for his knee and Ian arranged with local cafe owner 'Betty' for me to help with cooking dinner. After booking in we were shown around the monastery which was much older than our previous one and included loo's with a view and communal showers. It was great to freshen up and we are getting to know each other pretty well anyway. We went back down the hill a little way to the Hard Wok Cafe for dinner. This family live on the side of the mountain and hike everything up here on their back including the freezer and fridge! The kitchen and cafe sit on the side of the cliff so as we cooked we looked directly out into the valley. Pigs, chickens and vegetables grew on small plots carved into the hill just below us. It was so spectacular. I helped to cook my 2 dishes for dinner (fried eggs and tomato plus pork, vegetable and peanut stir fry plus 1 beer and 2 waters (61Y). Ian was feeling too unwell to join us. Back to monastery for bed and to listen to one of the monks chanting for about 1 hour. I taped his chanting as it was so soothing.

Tuesday:We had a thunderstorm overnight and it felt as though the lightening was pretty close as one of the thunder cracks was so loud. These monasteries are all hundreds of years old wood so a lightening strike is very dangerous. Chanting start

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb